• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heat shield/rifled barrel/ghost rings

So I read you can't use factory ghost ring sites with a factory heat shield. If so, which of the two are better for their respective part and which will I be better off getting an aftermarket version of?

I think ideally I want ghost ring sights with a tritium type bead on a rifled 20" barrel, and just for kicks a barrel standoff would be cool but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

So, what do y'all suggest?
For those who are curious, I use this same gun for home defense and hog hunting, hence the oddball requirements. I love the IFL for both situations.

adamsredlines said:
I think ideally I want ghost ring sights with a tritium type bead on a rifled 20" barrel, and just for kicks a barrel standoff would be cool but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I love the IFL for both situations.

Then you should get one with tritium sights.

I don't personally see the advantage of having a muzzle attachment, unless you plan to shoot door hinges, and if so, I would entertain the idea of hearing your reasoning as to why.

What is IFL?

While I think we all have bought something for our guns that make them unique to us or to "dress" them up to suit our personality, but lately I have been keeping them a lot more KISS for many reasons. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't want to carry extra weight if I don't have to.

If you want a big muzzle attachment sticking out of it, and you're happy with it, then that's fine too. Chef don't judge.

But to me, that is just more weight and bulk for no benefit.

And to be honest, even door breachers don't necessarily need a standoff because the muzzle does not have to be in contact with the door knob, lock, hinge, window, etc to breach. You just have to be able to aim and shoot with the muzzle from a few inches away from what you want to destroy.

I do like a flashlight on my weapons that may be used for serious use protecting my home and family and I feel they are standard equipment. But I don't have any experience with the Eotech.

The rifled barrel would also be little to no real benefit shooting buckshot or breaching rounds. Would be well suited for hog hunting though. Perhaps having more than one barrel per intended purpose would be a better option.

I know there's a million ways for everyone to do things. I use this gun a few times a week to shoot hogs, and will be using slugs. The rest of the time it sits beside my bed loaded with 00 buck. The intent is to not have to have a bunch of barrels and changing them out 5 times a week to suit each purpose since its being used so much right now. Sure, in a perfect world I would get a gun for each purpose but in reality thats not practical for everyone...so try to set up the gun to be multi-faceted. I dont believe standard shot will harm rifling in a rifled barrel, but the rifled barrel will help with accuracy and distance for the slugs when being used in the field, so it seems to make sense to me to use one. Same with the sites, I believe the ghost ring sites will help in both situations.
You seem to be stuck on the part of the question that I stated in the original post was the least important to me and there just for kicks...instead of offering real help for the questions I expressed were more critical.

adamsredlines said:
You seem to be stuck on the part of the question that I stated in the original post was the least important to me and there just for kicks...instead of offering real help for the questions I expressed were more critical.

I totally missed what was least or most important in your original post.

After going back and re-reading it, I still don't see that other than maybe the thread title, but if it has to do with ghost ring sights or heatshield, I have never shot with ghost ring sights after dark and imagine that they would be just as difficult to use even with tritium from my past experience of shooting in the dark with other style sights.

It's hard to beat a simple front bead for point and click fast shot acquisition.

And while I do have a heatshield on mine, I have never gotten one so hot that I would worry about burning myself.

Other guns are a different story, but not a shotgun. Best I have ever done on a shotgun is warm one up pretty good. But never rain sizzling or scalding hot that would deem a heatshield as a necessity.

While the plastic wadding won't "harm" (as in damage) a rifled barrel, shoot enough through them and the plastic will quickly "foul" the lands and grooves and is very difficult to remove and in time will certainly degrade the accuracy of your slugs.

Shot patterning will not be as good either if you're going to compare them to standard smoothbores shooting the same shot across the whole spectrum of sizes. Expect erratic donut style patterning with birdshot and buckshot. Especially at different distances using anything but slugs, so trying to zero the sights for that will be an exersize in futility.

And that is why I mentioned considering having two barrels.

I'm sure there will be others with other opinions chime in later.

You can certainly have a heat shield and ghost rings on the same barrel.

Two ways to do it. ATI sells a heatshield that has a set of ghostrings already on it. Or with a little effort you can get the standard mossberg shield on the barrel with a front ghostring sight.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4421

As for the need for a shield, John is spot on. If you are expending that many rounds to get the barrel red hot you are probably SOL in the first place. The absence of a shield and burning your fingers will be the least of your worry at that point. Still having the shield is nice. I have em on mine. It just feels naked with out one. As he said, each to his/her own.

Can't comment on the IFL specifically but any form of a weapon light is a good thing especially on a HD duty gun. If I understand your posting, you already have this on your gun correct?

He also brought up some great points on leaving a rifled barrel on all the time and running shot through it. Maybe you might be better served with two guns, one dedicated for each purpose down the pipe. I'd keep my eye out for a good deal on a used but not abused secondary. Plenty of secondhand Mossbergs out there, some very inexpensive. If I were in your shoes that is what I would do. Unless you just don't want more than one gun and don't mind sending shot down your rifled barrel. Just consider the advice he gave you about the longhaul in doing so.

Best of luck.

Yes, my gun already has an IFL installed.
I just like the heat shield, and have fired some rounds pretty quick where you could tell it helped. Its not a must but my gun has one and I would like to keep it.

I would be shooting mostly slugs through the slug barrel. The rest of the time it would sit beside my bed with 00 buck "just in case". I have two other shotguns for other purposes, a Browning Auto 5 12ga for birds and a Browning BPS 10ga for anything else. The 590 just suits home defense and hog hunting role better.

Wow. A BPS 10-ga has cool factor written all over it.

Heat Shields on shotguns were found advantageous for military bayonet applications where a full wraparound grip on the barrel using the forward hand was needed during combat fighting when the barrel was really hot. Nowadays they are purely cosmetic.

There. I said it.

Nothing wrong with having one, though, if you like that sort of look.

nitesite said:
Wow. A BPS 10-ga has cool factor written all over it.

Heat Shields on shotguns were found advantageous for military bayonet applications where a full wraparound grip on the barrel using the forward hand was needed during combat fighting when the barrel was really hot. Nowadays they are purely cosmetic.

There. I said it.

Nothing wrong with having one, though, if you like that sort of look.

The BPS is a hoot, everybody loves shooting it but at $1+ a round....not very practical to shoot a lot lol

What about the meprolight tritium bead? I've got one on my 590 and it works well. It's not the brightest night sight I've ever used, but it's certainly noticeable in low light conditions. While I originally installed my heat shield before the sight... I have removed/ reinstalled it by just wedging it back on... No harm done as long as you use a paper towel or rag... Or if you don't care about a few scratches like me ;)

EDIT: I didn't read your signature... You've already got a meprolight bead :oops:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
aksavanaman said:
... Or if you don't care about a few scratches like me ;)

If you don't have a few scratches on your shotgun, you're not using it enough... ;)

Gotta love that aluminum receiver... It won't rust :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
If you don't have a few scratches on your shotgun, you're not using it enough... ;)

:lol:

Truth.

mossy500006_zps728e1d6a.jpg

mossy500007_zpse84da1c1.jpg

mossy500008_zps2efac6d0.jpg

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
aksavanaman said:
... Or if you don't care about a few scratches like me ;)

Amen!!

aksavanaman said:
What about the meprolight tritium bead? I've got one on my 590 and it works well. It's not the brightest night sight I've ever used, but it's certainly noticeable in low light conditions. While I originally installed my heat shield before the sight... I have removed/ reinstalled it by just wedging it back on... No harm done as long as you use a paper towel or rag... Or if you don't care about a few scratches like me ;)

EDIT: I didn't read your signature... You've already got a meprolight bead :oops:

I actually took it off because it wouldn't clock correctly and took a lot of shims to orient it. I didn't like the way it looked all spaced out so I removed it and am back to the brass bead.

Back