• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heat shield

12gafun

.270 WIN
What is everyone's thoughts on the heat shields that come installed on the Special purpose 500. I took mine off cause I wanted to clean under the barrel and when I did, I looked at it and saw a real old school look of what to me all my shotguns looked like. This is my first shotgun with one of these heat shields and I am not sure if I want to put it back on. I know it won't effect the performance of the shotgun, I guess I am just old school.
So thanks for all replies to the subject and thanks to all the great information everyone has given to me so far. Also how tight does that take down screw need to be tightened because I think I got the misfire situation solved, if that take down screw isn't like really tight the bolt isn't going completely into battery. This is causing the light primer strikes. I took off the barrel and then tightened it back on really good and it fired flawlessly.

Can't see the point really. I put 200-300 rounds of 7.62x39 through an AKM (SAR 1) during my trips to the range and I know enough not to touch the barrel or put it back in the case until after it cools off. I've shot my '85 500 at clays all day in well-below freezing conditions back in the day and never lost sight of the beads due to heat waves. Looks cool on some shotguns, but I'm not sure it's functional. But then again............I'm not an expert.......... I cool my 500 off by opening the action and resting it on the bench.

I am still torn on which way to go with it, leave it off or back on, what are other thoughts

On off
20150908_013231.jpg 20150908_012850.jpg

After I got the 18.5" barrel for my 500, I wanted the heat shield for it, too. I ordered the parkerized one right from Mossberg. I think the heat shield does look cool. Other than that, though, I think it is rather useless. It's kind of a pain to put on the barrel or take it off. It just adds unnecessary weight. Like you, I also really like the clean look without the heat shield. Since my 500 came parkerized, and the 18.5" barrel I had at the time was gloss blued, I didn't like the look with it against the parkerized mag tube. I got the parkerized heat shield to try and mesh the color differences better by sandwiching the glossy barrel between the parked mag tube and heat shield. I got rid of that barrel and got a matte blued barrel which flows with the parkerization on my 500 better. Because of that, I took the heat shield off. I'm really torn about the heat sheilds. On one hand I like the way they look (the Mossberg ones, anyway), and on the other I really like the clean lines without it.

run it, whats the down side ?
it looks cool, add a tiny amount of weight.
looks are one of your last concerns......well it should be one of the last, lots of folks base gun decisions solely on looks.

How are you going to shoot it ?
If just sitting on your ass or standing in one place at a range it will probably never be needed.
Running around shooting dynamic, switching shoulders, turning it on its back to speed load it could come in handy saving you a burn.
I like having something and not needing it rather than needing it and not having it.

Running around shooting dynamic, switching shoulders, turning it on its back to speed load it could come in handy saving you a burn.

Truth be stated here.

The heatshield on my 930 has saved me from burns on many occasions. As you said it's upside down or on its side during strong hand reloads, wherever I happen to be standing when the last round is spent. In those instances the barrel regularly makes contact with my hand. Might not ever be an issue for most folks, but run 200+ rounds through the barrel in about an hour and a half and the barrel gets extremely hot...

Uh....yeah, if I were in the habit of shooting 200 rounds of 12ga in an hour.....USMC SANDBOX.jpg I'd probably go with a heat shield

Attachments

• 590a1-military.jpg
    590a1-military.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 6687762.jpg
    6687762.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 22
Truth be stated here.

The heatshield on my 930 has saved me from burns on many occasions. As you said it's upside down or on its side during strong hand reloads, wherever I happen to be standing when the last round is spent. In those instances the barrel regularly makes contact with my hand. Might not ever be an issue for most folks, but run 200+ rounds through the barrel in about an hour and a half and the barrel gets extremely hot...

Just one bobble away from a burn....which leads to a major distraction or dropping the gun. I had one on mine but it mostly sucked, not as nice and secure as the factory.....if I had a factory part I would probably run it.

Have been burned by mine just not paying attention. Shotgun barrels are so thin it doesn't take many rounds to be up to burning temp......but on the same note they cool down faster.

They were first used so a guy could use the bayonet without getting burned in the trenches in ww1

I am still torn between using it or just going without it, when I had my 870 it didn't have one on it and I never burned myself on it and I would run like 100 shells real quick through it. I have shot a lot of shotguns without, I do say it does look neat but I have also been reading it does hinder some after market forends from being installed on the shotgun, not just the Magpul one either.

well if its going to affect performance, like rubbing while your shucking then for sure don't run it

but if not , what do you have to lose by leaving it on ?

Well I know I dogged Magpul earlier but when I had my Remington 870 I had there forend on it with there AFG and loved the control it gave me when pumping the shotty.

Well I know I dogged Magpul earlier but when I had my Remington 870 I had there forend on it with there AFG and loved the control it gave me when pumping the shotty.
Ive dogged Magpul a lot.
I have one 40 rd mag that's been awesome and now I have the QD sling they make that converts to a single point. Possibly the nicest sling I own. Close call because they use plastic for the quick adjust but I'm sure it will be fine
Cant beat the bang for the buck considering the QD attachments come with the sling.......and their videos are well done so yeah, not dogging them as much anymore....

Uh....yeah, if I were in the habit of shooting 200 rounds of 12ga in an hour.....View attachment 9206 I'd probably go with a heat shield
they are wearing their heat shield , full ppe, sleeves , gloves.....

Ive gotten unexpected wake up calls with hot firearms but once my Mini14 branded my forearm for about a year, a perfect front sight and muzzle brand....totally not paying attention. Probably the last time it happened, it made a big impression that lasted lol.

I have decide to keep it off the shotgun, I posted it for sale on this site. I just never had one on any shotgun I ever owned and to me it now looks more like a traditional shotgun that all that Tacticool crap you have now days. I did just get rail mount for it and might be putting a scope on it for dear hunting or a red dot, not sure yet.

they are wearing their heat shield , full ppe, sleeves , gloves.....

Ive gotten unexpected wake up calls with hot firearms but once my Mini14 branded my forearm for about a year, a perfect front sight and muzzle brand....totally not paying attention. Probably the last time it happened, it made a big impression that lasted lol.
Yeah, long sleeves and shooting gloves would probably be in order if I were shooting 200 rounds of 12ga. in an hour, also. Shoulder pad wouldn't hurt, either. I've managed to avoid burning myself having owned an AKM for 13 years. In the modern military shotgun inventory, the heat shield is conspicuously absent. After market tacticool marketing. If it works for ya, go for it. People probably look at my scratched up 30 year old 500 and wonder why there's nothing "tactical". That's what works for me. That's what's great about the 500-there's a million different configurations for a million different people. Shoot on.

Attachments

• combat in the desert.jpg
    combat in the desert.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 13
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12
  • MilitaryM590A1.jpg
    MilitaryM590A1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 13
Back