• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heat shield

Well for me personally, I really like the way my shotgun looks without that heat shield. When I purchased it I thought that I would be taking that off soon.

In the modern military shotgun inventory, the heat shield is conspicuously absent.
it was a purpose built part that served a very useful purpose in the day it was created. People made it tacticool because a lot of folks are all about image, companies are about selling that image

As for the missing heat shields in the military, as they mitigated the need with ppe and probably not ever fixing a bayonet anymore, especially in a trench after you fought your way for a mile out of shell now you got to fix a bayonet, the mechanics of bayoneting really requires a grip up by the blade with the off hand for control.
Battle rifles, carbines mostly come all covered up or at least a generous area to grab and not get burned, in fact most weapons used in theater are heat shielded from the factory......other than shotguns.....which are mostly not used for fighting these days in the military

not being a jerk, for the record I dont run one, but its not just some worthless thing that level 10 ninjas run

That's the beauty of the 500................different strokes for different folks. If I were inclined to SHTF drill with a 12ga as opposed to an AR or AKM, I'd use a heat shield, too. It's hard to beat a 30 or 40 round mag with plenty of back-up mags for shoot and run and run and shoot. I think the shot gun made a real comeback in the sandbox while executing knockless warrants and cleaning house when going door to door in Iraq and Afghanistan. Looks like there will always be a need for the scatter gun in urban combat.

Last edited:
The way I see it, it's just something else that could malfunction during a certain situation and either get in the way of you running the firearm properly. When I had my 870 I would shoot 50+ shells at a time and not get burned, no heat shield on it. I thank all of you and your input on the versatility of the heat shield. I might keep my hands on it since no one wants to purchase it anyway. Have had it on here for sale for like a couple of days, just one slight interest but wasn't sure it would fit his thick walled barrel.

That's what I told him! But I read on another forum that some guy got is Mossberg heat shield installed onto his heavy barreled shotty

Back