• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello all!

Greetings from Miami!

This past Saturday, I visited the local gun show, and purchased a Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser (just in time for that zombie apocalypse that started here this weekend)! It is currently awaiting my pickup next Tuesday, as I don't have my concealed weapons permit. I went in looking to purchase one of three guns: AK-47, Glock, or a Mossberg 500. I wasn't able to find the right AK, and couldn't decide on what Glock I wanted. As soon as I saw the Mossberg, I KNEW I had to have it. Now the crazy part is, I have NEVER fired a gun. This is my first gun, and needless to say will be a learning experience as well as what could potentially be a gateway to a new addiction. I have read up quite a bit on Mossbergs, and I feel a made a great purchase. I am counting down the days until I can pick her up! Thanks!

Rey

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Congratulations on your first firearm purchase and please feel free to post any and all questions that you may have.

Congrats on the recent purchase. Just remember saftey safety safety. Enjoy your new purchase and hopefully you can find a good shooting buddy near by that can show you the ropes so that you will learn the full potential of your new firearm! Can't wait to see pictures.

Dude, thats awesome, and its already an addiction! You can placate it by shooting, but youll still be lookin for the next one!

Welcome to MO!

Welcome aboard and congratulations!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your new 500 when you get it. Take some time to browse through the site, you'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site and your new 500!

Thanks all! I am a firm believer in that the stupidest question is the one never asked, and even more so with firearms. My first question: what ammo and from where should I pick up just to get a good feel for the gun and put some rounds through? I was told Walmart has good prices. Is there anything in specific I should be looking for?

Just to get started, WalMart is a fine place to get ammo! I dont walk through WalMart without getting somethin while I'm there! :D

Birdshot is a good start, or target loads, like #6 #7 1/2 and #8 shot. It will all be numbered similarly and uniformly. Dont be afraid to get something like the 15 round box of Remington 00 buck as the velocity is in some cases less that the birdshot and the weight of the payload is also similar. Likewise, if you wanna try slugs, look for Winchester Winlite 1 oz low recoil slugs. Those are sold most commonly in 5 round boxes and may even say "rifled slug" on the box. The muzzle velocity there is in the 1100's I think, but certainly not more than say 1345 fps... cant remember off hand. I just checked the Winchester site which has become even more difficult to navigate. Seems the WinLite isnt made anymore? They do have make a low recoil birdshot too, I think its the AA stuff.

You can do the 100 round bulk packs, theyre usually about $25. Some get those and never have a problem, but the Winchester stuff has been sketchy lately, though I have heard positive and negative about all the big 3. I've not ever purchased the 100 round bulk packs, just always bought the 25 round boxes and would have to say I havent had a failure yet that wasnt my fault! ;)

Anyhow, I hope this is at least a little helpful!!!

Howdy r_adesigns and welcome to the club.

Welcome from MI!!

r_adesigns said:
Thanks all! I am a firm believer in that the stupidest question is the one never asked, and even more so with firearms. My first question: what ammo and from where should I pick up just to get a good feel for the gun and put some rounds through? I was told Walmart has good prices. Is there anything in specific I should be looking for?

DO NOT buy the winchester universal bulk pack shells.

The Federal bulk shells are supposed to do better http://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-Ammun ... t/17757345

If the 12 gauge is the first gun you have ever fired, I will warn you ahead of time, they kick much harder than rifles and pistols, so don't let your first experience persuade you that all guns are the same because they are not.

To familiarize yourself with the gun, I recommend low brass shells, but for home defense (and shoot a few ahead of time so you know what to expect) double ought buckshot and maybe slugs.

Here is a little video I did that tells some of the differences between ammo. Maybe it will help you learn more about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycJnEKkrPP8

So a silly question... What else should I take my first day on the range? Other than the obvious of course. What kind of ear protection does everyone use? Eye protection?

I use these cheapo Winchester ear plugs from WalMart...

Can't remember what brand safety glasses I use, but I got them from Wally World too...

Eyes, ears, gloves, and maybe a ballcap. And water!

I use Winchester brand from WalMart ear muff styled ear protection, Mechanix gloves usually or leather, I have a nice pair of polarized glasses from Revision, but anything will work and amber shaded glasses are a real close second choice for me.

Just picked up 100 rounds (4x25ct) Winchester Super Speed 2 3/4 7 1/2 shot at Walmart. Cheap enough for the first time at the range to get used to shooting. They don't regularly stock the Federal 100ct bulk pack, didn't have an ETA on it. Only a few days left!

a6937b18-35f9-73df.jpg

Back