• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Mid Coast Maine

walpoler

Hi all. I look forward to using this site to get feedback on by Mossy 500 12ga. I purchased the 500 in March and have put 200rds of target shell and 10 rds of Sabot rounds to get the scope zeroed. Still no luck on the zero, but I haven't had time to put more effort. I am joining a fish and game club to gain access to a range to put more rounds through the barrels (combo smooth and rifled). I guess my first question is what are the best PRACTICAL accessories for the 500 in regards to hunting and target shooting (slings,extra shell holders,beads,cleaner, etc). Thanks!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! What scope setup are you running on your Mossberg 500? Its hard to say what the best PRACTICAL are but depending on what stock you have changing that out may help with recoil and allow for proper length of pull. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=655 is a thread dedicated to the various stock options available for the Mossberg 500. There are tons of things you can do to your Mossberg 500 but its easy to get carried away with the modding bug. For me I really like having an enlarged safety (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=403) but its not necessary at all.

Wow, thanks for the quick response Dan. Right now for accessories I am looking for a sling system that works well with the 500 and possibly "glow" bead sights for the smooth bore barrel. This is what I meant in regards to practicality. I've gotten so many "bells 'n whistles" and "frilly" responses to my questions on other sites about accessories that it was making me sick, but it could be that I'm just a purist at heart (sigh). I'm so glad I found this site, though I think my wife may have to disagree...

welcome to the club! if you are going to go hunting here are some of the things you might need...

like you said..sling
and since you live in maine, with lots of wilderness to lost in, a gps.
a "just in case" knife.
an extra T-shirt is essential early in the season,
when you get hot and sweaty, it's nice to put a light shirt on after a hunt.
extra dry socks as well.
a flashlight is nice to see what your doin before it get's light out.
a large cooler with plenty of ice, for your drinks and or the game you are hunting to keep it cool.
plenty of water!
small first aid kit.
possibly rain gear.

after the hunt you will surely need a cleaning kit for the gun. a clean gun is a happy gun.
depending on what you like, a scope maybe?

you can also carry extra ammo in a pouch on your belt so if you do have shell holders on your stock you can keep them in there instead, when you're hunting the brass might shine in the sunlight and whatever you are hunting could see it and get spooked. target shooting is fine to have them on the stock. i know when i hunt turkey, my shells are in the pouch and 3 in the tube. (turkey hunting law)
they have great vision. so i don't take any chances.

i'm sure there is more to say, but i'll let others chime in...
and congrats on the 500!! post up some pics when you have a chance. we all love to drool over them here....

Howdy from Ohio!!!

Yeah, the product review is packed with info on both the tactical/"tacticool" and practical.

Things like the shell holders can pull double duty, for both the tactical, and practical side of life, like hunting (depends on the local hunting laws in your area) target shooting and range time, and for Home Defense. So maybe a receiver mounted carrier like the Vang Comp model or similar, or a stock mounted cuff, like the elastic kind you can find at WalMart.

Both HiViz and TruGlo make a fiber optic bead that kinda glow. My daughter uses the TruGlo 3 dot on her vent rib Mossy.

A stock can make a difference too. The factory length of pull can be rediculous if you arent like 6' tall and arms made for ape hangers. Just my opinion. So like Dan pointed out, shorter stocks and adjustable stocks that fit are def practical!

If you wanna get crazy with the gadgetry, we'll be here to help with that too!

Welcome aboard!

Your not far from me, another New Englander on the site. :D I'm not a hunter myself so no practical advice, but I can respect your minimalism.

Welcome aboard!

You certainly have great taste in shotguns! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Enjoy the site!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum walpoler !!

Enjoy the site, and when you have a chance, post some pics of that new Mossy !!

Back