• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from New Jersey & Maine

rickbolger

Copper BB
Hi, new to the sport/hobby, started with an original 5500 I bought on a whim at a pawnshop in NH a few months back for $180. After a couple times firing it, it never really cycled, safety stopped functioning, and shards of black plastic began coming out of the ejection port. I didn't know much about guns but I knew something was wrong. So I downloaded an owner's manual, watched me some youtube, and took it apart. Culprit was a fragged bolt buffer and 40ish years of gunk. Broke it all down and got some parts from Numrich, put it all back together and it works great. Somewhere along the way I got addicted -- pretty sure it was the Hoppe's #9 because at first I thought it was ghastly and now I open it up just to take a whiff. Next I bought a receiver and a bunch of parts for a 500A for $150 and put that together. Then I went out and bought a 1940s Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga because everybody needs to experience an Iver Johnson Champion. I started trap shooting in NJ and so far the clay pigeons aren't too concerned but I enjoy it. Building a 40 yard range on some property I have in Maine, learning to shoot lefty as I'm cross-eye dominant. I like how Mossbergs are affordable and modular and easy to service and find parts. Seems like good people here!

Welcome to the forum and you will fit right in with all of us "addicted" gunners.

While this is a Mossberg forum there is decades of knowledge on all types of firearms.

Congrats on taking the initiative to learn about and fix your first purchase.

Regards

I was born in Brunswick (ME), my mother in Lewiston. My dad was at the NAS there in Brunswick (if it is still there?).

Welcome Aboard!

I was born in Brunswick (ME), my mother in Lewiston. My dad was at the NAS there in Brunswick (if it is still there?).

Welcome Aboard!
Hey thanks! Brunswick NAS was decommissioned a dozen years ago. Now a regional airport, occasional air show, etc. Good people of Lewiston sure don't deserve the tragedy unfolding as I type this. Brunswick is a great town, busy as ever following a lull when the base closed.

Back