• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Northern Virigina

Norboo

.22LR
Hello.

I don't own a gun and don't know much about guns. I visited a gun shop near me and was told that Mossberg might be what I want for home protection. I searched and came across a picture of his gun.
Which model is this gun?
What attachments does this gun have and is it hard to add attachments? Are they expensive to add on? What parts Do I need if I were to go this route?
Thank you.

image_3.jpeg

Welcome aboard!

That's what we like to call a "kitchen sink" model. The shotgun pictured in your post has about everything you could imagine added to it except for the kitchen sink. The parts added to that shotgun likely cost at least twice as much as the firearm itself. It's heavy, bulky, and too complicated to be practical as a defensive weapon for a novice shooter.

A very basic Mossberg 500, in it's factory form, is more than ideal for a defensive firearm. Take some time to read through the forum and you'll get an idea of what may of us use for our defensive set-ups. You'll see that 99% of them are far less complicated and tricked out as the shotgun in your intro. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. Take a look around and you'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

I have to agree. This would not be an ideal first shotgun. The standard Mossberg 500 is a great choice for a first shotgun. I would probably buy a 590A1Tactical if personal defense is the objective. They offer a number of models of it. http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590a1-tactical/ What shop were you in? I used to sell guns in Northern Virginia. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

That thing must weigh 20 lbs...and with all that junk, I think there may be a Model 500 under there somewhere.

Welcome to MO!

That one looks like it began life as a 500 breacher. It has maybe a Choat magazine extension, ERGO tri rail forend (or similar) with rail covers and hand stops- angled fore grip- and two round holder, Elzetta ligh mount and light, Mossberg heatshield, Mesa or similar side saddle, receiver rail and holo sight or MRDS, and the stock is made by ATI I think but it's a modified Hogue with recoil reduction. I hardly think its necessary as heavy as that gun is which is likely coming in near 9 pounds.

As has been said, if you're a novice gun owner, don't get sucked in to the hype and feel this is at all necessary for home defense. It looks cool and may be fun to take out and shoot at stuff but its a whole lot of gun for a whole lot of $$$ that won't make you a better shooter.

A 500/590/590A1 in its simplest form in either 18-1/2" or 20" with full length magazine and bead sight will do you well. They are easy to add parts to and no one would be a hater if you decide it needs a little love to make it your own. But don't feel like you need all this gun to defend your home. Heck, a vent rib gun with bead sights and a more open choke would do the trick if needed.

I have to agree. This would not be an ideal first shotgun. The standard Mossberg 500 is a great choice for a first shotgun. I would probably buy a 590A1Tactical if personal defense is the objective. They offer a number of models of it. http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590a1-tactical/ What shop were you in? I used to sell guns in Northern Virginia. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

First place I went was The Gun Dude, they were very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I also stopped by NOVA Firearms, they were not friendly what some ever. I spent 15 minutes looking around, not once did they ask if I wanted help, let alone say hello. Last, I went to Gander Mountian that opened up recently at Potomac Mills, person I spoke to was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Few questions.
What is bead and ghost ring?
Is here any benefit to 7 shot vs. 9?
What makes for less recoil?

Welcome. I'm a noob here as well but from what I've read through in these posts and threads you won't be steered wrong. I just recently purchased a 590 myself and did only a couple upgrades based on the tons of info supplied by the great people here.

Few questions.
What is bead and ghost ring?
Is here any benefit to 7 shot vs. 9?
What makes for less recoil?

A shotgun bead is what's used to aim. Typically it's a small brass "bead" on the end of the barrel at the muzzle. It's the most common sight on a shotgun. A recommended upgrade for a home defense shotgun is a tritium sight like from Meprolight, but that's my opinion and is open for discussion. The tritium is an isotope that glows in the dark but looks like a white dot in the day light. It's a little bigger to pick up visually than a standard brass bead or even worse, the black bead on a 590A1.

A ghost ring sight is a round ring on the receiver of the shotgun above the ejection port and uses some type of blade in place of a brass bead at the muzzle. The blade may have a white stripe or even a fiber optic pipe that appears as a bright dot and is lined up with the ring on the receiver.

The lower magazine capacity some will say makes the gun less front heavy and may help to make the weight feel more centered or balanced. A 7 round magazine is still a full length magazine though so in that case I don't see any significant benefit over a full length 9 round gun. I've had/have both and can't tell a difference.

Less recoil is less perceived recoil. This can be accomplished a few ways. One of which is by shooting stance which can help transfer recoil. The push/pull method helps, you would stand square to the target, pulling the gun back into the pocket between your shoulder and chest with your firing hand with enough force to hold the gun up and at the same time be pushing away on the forend with your support hand. Knees would be bent slightly with squared shoulders over feet or even one foot slightly behind the other.

Recoil pads like a LimbSaver can help too but adds length to the stock. In my mind, a better choice is a Hogue stock which has a plush recoil pad already. Other stocks are designed with recoil absorbing technology. I've not tried any of these to be able to comment. One of these is the Knoxx stock which has a pistol grip similar to an AR but I'm not keen on this style as the pistol grip interferes with the particular ergonomics or mechanics of the Mossberg shotgun.

Did I miss anything?

Here is an example of a Mossberg bead sight on a 20", 7 round gun;

image.jpg

And this is a ghost ring set up on a Benelli;

image.jpg

That ghost ring is using tritium inserts.

This is a tritium bead replacing the brass bead on what looks like a 14" 590/590A1 which also has an Inforce lighted forend. This pic looks like one of M24s photos.

image.jpg

***EDIT***
The pic is in fact M24s and is posted on arfcom.

A std field model 500A is more than sufficient for a vast majority of people self defense/HD needs.

My HD gun is a base Rem 870 (sorry Guys) with a turkey barrel. At one time I had a extended mag but it was too front heavy. The only upgrade that remains is a reduced LOP stock.

You want a gun you can use when the SHTF without thinking about it, the more you add the more complex it becomes.

My 870 has been my hunting and clays gun for over 20 years and it is an extension of my hand.

I'm working on gaining that proficiency with my Mossy's but I just have a LOT more trigger time with the 870.

Is it ease to replace the bead with tritium sight from Meprologht? Do I need to drill?

No drill is required. The Meprolight for Mossberg is a 5/40 thread which is the same as the Mossberg bead. The only thing you'll likely run into is that the length of the threads is longer than the wall thickness of the barrel. If you were to run it in all the way, two things are going to happen; the sight won't be straight on the barrel and some of the threads will be in the barrel. My fix was to purchase a couple very small O rings at the hardware store. I turned the sight until it was snug, lined up with the barrel, and no threads coming through.

There's another one, XS Sights I think, that is more like what is pictured above and it epoxies to the brass bead. Trijicon might make one too, and there are a couple others. TruGlo, Marbles, and possibly Ameriglo. The one TruGlo model, (TFX maybe?) looks interesting but it costs more and I think requires drilling. It wouldn't be too difficult with the right equipment and it looks pretty cool but I think it's the price that puts me off when the Meprolight is $30.

Howdy, welcome to the club!

Looks like Brad and sniper got ya covered. Keep up with the questions. That's what we're here for.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask....

I'd say the gun pictured started life as a 590 breacher. Most 500s have a take-down screw vs a magazine end cap. The "breacher" is the hole-saw looking thing at the end of the barrel and is used by LEO and others to shoot out the lock of a door before kicking it in. The extra holes allow gas to escape while the shot goes on its way to blow out the door frame, etc. I made my own breacher barrel, shown below... ;) (jk...)

breachsaw.jpg

You can save money by buying a Maverick, which is very similar to a 500. They make an 18" "security" model that is about $225 or so. ATI and Stevens offer imported pump shotguns for about the same amount but may also include a 28" "hunting" barrel.

Join the NRA and learn their safety rules HERE. You and anyone else who might handle the gun should take a safety course--safety is paramount with firearms. You might even visit their Firearms Museum since you are sort of close.

If you have children, there will be safe storage considerations such as a lock or safe. Don't be afraid to show them the gun and teach them safety as you safely handle it. If they are no longer curious, they won't go looking at the gun when you're not home. PS: and in this day and age, discretion about firearm ownership may be a good thing with certain people who may not approve and your kids should not be telling their friends about your guns.

Whatever you buy, you should train with it using dummy (inert) rounds available from many sources such as Midway. Practice loading and unloading the dummies. Find a range you can shoot the gun at and practice, practice, practice.

Welcome Aboard, Norboo! :)

Last edited:
Back