• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Northern Virigina

What is the pros and cons of pistol grip on a shotgun?

Either a pistol grip stock or a pistol grip only on a Mossberg ergonomically doesn't work well. Because of the location of the safety on the end of the receiver just above where the stock mounts, it's difficult to function with a pistol grip. It requires moving your hand off the grip first. It's not impossible but it takes an extra step opposed to using a traditional stock which means moving just your thumb. A birds head grip may be a little different as the shape, while being a pistol grip, more closely resembles the grip on a traditional stock.

Additionally, a stock allows you to actually shoulder the gun as intended so you can properly aim, something I strongly advocate though I know others depart from my ideollogy on this. Not all, but a few. There are proponents of pistol grip only who may be able to give some more insight.

I honestly can't think of any pros to pistol grip only or a pistol grip stock. I think if you're going to have a stock on a Mossberg it may as well be a traditional styled stock although some companies make recoil reduction stocks that aren't available with anything other than a pistol grip configuration and the same is true with adjustable stocks. In these cases there aren't other choices.

Pistol grip only is easier to store I guess, but that's all I got for it.

I could not agree more about safety position. I do not want to remove my hand from a shooting grip to manipulate the safety.

Hi. I grew up in northern VA, place called Hunters' Valley, two miles north of Oakton. Back in the 50's it was all country, lots of forests and fields. Now all packed up with mansions, a DC bedroom for the rich. Oh well.

I will likely be a minority of one, but if you're concerned about recoil, you might consider a 20 ga pump. For short-range work, a 20 ga will perform nearly as well as a 12-ga. Actual recoil isn't that much less than a 12 ga, but the gun is lighter and easier to handle, and the PERCEIVED recoil is often felt to be lighter. With #3 or #2 buckshot, it's a lethal combination.

Check out:
GunBroker, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538362898#PIC.
Nice weapon, less than $400, new.
And there are others.

A good article on the use of 20 ga shotguns for home defense:
http://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2013/3/18/the-mighty-20-gauge/

Anyway, a short-barreled 20 ga is another option for you.

As for all the extras, you might just want to buy a "naked" pump, take it to the range, try it out. In my home, we have battery powered LED night-lights in all the halls, so I've never felt the need for a light or tritium sights, but whatever floats your boat.

Best of luck, and welcome to MO!

I'm a new guy here, too, and recently purchased my first gun, a 12ga Mossberg 500. Came with the standard 28" barrel and I bought an additional 18.5" "home defense" barrel. When running 1 1/8oz, #8 shot target loads through it, the recoil is totally manageable -- my thin 5'5" wife has no trouble with it. In fact, we are having a lot of fun with it at the range. All-in cost, with a bag, boresnake cleaning kit and some ammo, was under $300 at Dick's. I keep my eyes open for 12ga shot on sale, and I have picked up 250-round cases for under $65. Have fun! My next purchase will be a .22 rifle.

Edit: Here is a good video on how to minimize recoil with the "push-pull" method:

Last edited:
Back