• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help! Magazine spring jammed

Frogfish

Copper BB
Hey guys,

I have a Mossberg 535, and the magazine spring is jammed and the magazine plus is wedged between a a couple of the coils (o ring preventing it from coming free). The spring is all screwed up, so I am going to replace it with the Wolff XP 12 ga spring.

However, I do not want to damage the magazine tube when trying to remove the spring. How should I remove it? Should I just clamp the free end of the spring and pull back on the magazine tube until it pops out? I tried pushing from the cap end with a screwdriver to no avail.

Please help

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to stop by the welcome area too. I would consider removing the mag tube and then try PULLING the spring out.

Thanks for the welcome. I've already taken off the magazine tube, and tried to pull it out. However, I didn't want to use too much force incase I damaged something. The spring wont budge because of the damned magazine plug wedged in between it.

Will it the tube be ok if I pull on the spring until it either breaks or comes out?

I think the the far end of the magazine has a piece that sits on the spring that can be pried out with a screw driver. Should have a slot that makes it wedge into the magazine tube.

Never mind, I think your magazine tube is like a 500 or like the Maverick-88. I was thinking it was like the 835.

Very worst case, a new magazine tube. They are not expensive,

Welcome Frogfish. If you have a metal hanger laying around try cutting it to make it one straight piece with a hook. Reshape the hook so that it will fit into the mag tube, hook onto the spring and yank that sucker out. The worst I could see happening its you gouging the inside of the mag tube making it more susceptible to rust.

There is a totally inappropriate joke waiting to be made about that ... but no problem, glad it worked for you.

Back