• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

help me pick 20 over 12

daytime dave

.270 WIN
I'm looking to pick up a Maverick in 20. 18.5 cylinder bore. I don't have a 20 ga cylinder bore. Is there anything I should consider before getting one? I have an 870 and a 500 in 12 ga with the same length barrel. I would just like one in 20. What do you folks have to say?

considering you have two 12's then a 20 makes since to me. I always consider ammunition for new prospects and 20 is as expensive as 12 , less choices and generally less available than 12 especially in self defense loads...IMO
I love a good 20 gauge and have one with many birds under its belt

I love the 20G. The 20G will do most anything a 12G will do. I would still prefer the 12G over the 20G for some waterfowl hunting but that's just me.

Good read on thw 20G by Massaad Ayoob: Consider the 20-gauge shotgun

Lots of upland/small game has fallen in front of me and a 20-guage. I like a twenty.

I don't see the desire for 20-ga if you already have one or two 18.5" Improved Cylinder 12-guage shotguns and you just want a short Improved Cylinder 20-ga version. Oli700 mentioned ammo price (virtually the same between the two for hunting/trap loads) and he also took into consideration the vast selection and availability and dominance of 12-ga self defense ammo, which is a thousand-fold what you will find in 20-ga.

If I had to rely on obtaining 20-ga self defense ammo based strictly on availability/price I would regret being into a short Improved Cylinder twenty. I couldn't (or wouldn't) shoot it much.

A 20 is a great choice for upland hunting but for HD and you already own 12's then I see no real reason to get it.
My 20 and .410 mostly see use on the Skeet field for some fun.
I even usually reach for a 12 hunting, but that is just because I really love that 12.

,,,,,ah the heck with it,,,,get it. ya only go around once. :D

I do understand "Get it for the heck of it"

The only reason that I went looking for a 20ga was that someone was selling a MEC 600 on a forum and did not know what gauge it was. I offered $15 sight unseen. Picked it up and realized it was a 20. Put a couple hours into cleaning it up and getting it running to resell at a profit :cool:

Once it was ready I changed my mind :eek:

Found a really nice 20ga 500 for $120....for what I spent on the loader and gun combined ($135), I guess 20ga was destined to be in my future :D

Thanks for the great replies guys. I kind of just wanted to get one just to get one. I love 12, 20 and .410 shotguns. They all have different uses for me. I have several of each. I think I just got the itch when I read the sale ads and Maverick 88's were on sale.

I have subsequently recently returned from Walmart and just picked up a 930 with breach barrel. I didn't have one of them either.

64405a7a-87bc-46b0-a754-a8f5aea4839f_zps97d0224a.jpg

Sorry for re using this photo from the 930 photo thread, but it's my only one so far.

Most of my guns were bought because i just wanted it. :grin:

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

daytime dave said:
I'm looking to pick up a Maverick in 20. 18.5 cylinder bore. I don't have a 20 ga cylinder bore. Is there anything I should consider before getting one? I have an 870 and a 500 in 12 ga with the same length barrel. I would just like one in 20. What do you folks have to say?

Is there a 20 gauge Maverick available originally equipped with either a 18.5 or 20 inch barrel? I've only seen them with the longer barrels. I've even considered buying one with the longer barrel and shortening it myself. I love my Mavericks in 12 gauge. Take care. Tom Worthington

Is there a 20 gauge Maverick available originally equipped with either a 18.5 or 20 inch barrel? I've only seen them with the longer barrels. I've even considered buying one with the longer barrel and shortening it myself. I love my Mavericks in 12 gauge. Take care. Tom Worthington[/quote]

you might want to check this thread Tom.
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=6220

That's what I was kinda thinking. None of them came originally equipped with one of the shorter barrels. Thanks and take care. Tom Worthington

I called a Dick's Sporting Goods and a young kid was working the gun counter. I stated I was interested in an 18.5 inch 20 ga Maverick 88. He went to check. He said he had one that looked like a 21 inch barrel. If they advertise it, they should produce it.

There's a reason they call 'em Dicks.

They're among a list of retailers that won't ever see a dime of my money...

Back