• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help with a Mossberg 600at

romanlynch

Copper BB
I'm new to the shotgun world and have a question. I bought a 600at (12ga) and I'm not sure if this is normal or not. When I load the shells (2 3/4) I have to push that button on the left side of the trigger assembly to unlock the slide and load a shell into the chamber and then again after each shot. I've shot an 870 once and once it had a shell in the chamber I just had to rack the slide after each shot.

I took the 600at apart and cleaned it good (filthy thing!) and I see the bar that it's catching on. In the pic the bar is sitting on top of the bolt(?) in the bottom right corner. If I pull the slide back far enough the bar locks the bolt in place and I have to push that button to release it. Is that normal or is something worn/bent?

Attachments

• Mossberg.jpg
    Mossberg.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 256
Welcome to the forum from NY.
It is normal that you need to push the action lever to rack the gun if you haven't fired it.
You mentioned when you load a shell in the chamber. Have you loaded up the mag tube and fired a shell and racked in another one ? You should be able to load up the mag tube and empty it by firering each time without touching the action lever.

Yea I know I have to do it the first time to get the shell from the mag tube to the chamber, however I have to use the action button after each time I fire it. That little bar in the picture is connected to the action button and that block is the part that is attached to the bolt.

With the gun EMPTY pull the slide all the way back. Looking at that lever at the bottom right near the bolt push the action lever a few times. Do you see it moving near the bolt ? If you do it sounds like a trigger assembly problem. Maybe a broken spring ???
Keep us posted.

Just checked, and yes pushing the action button does move the bar. So what do I do now, you said there's a spring that need replaced?

romanlynch said:
Just checked, and yes pushing the action button does move the bar. So what do I do now, you said there's a spring that need replaced?

Take a real good look at the trigger assembly. Maybe a broken spring in the assembly.
If your not familiar with the trigger assembly I would get a smitty to look at it. They can be tricky.

Check the disconnector spring.

Attachments

• 500.gif
    500.gif
    33.8 KB · Views: 192
Thanks for the diagram. Is the trigger assembly easy to take down and where would I be able to get that spring if it's broke?

I've taken out the trigger assembly so I know how to do that, just haven't disassembled it.

romanlynch said:
Thanks for the diagram. Is the trigger assembly easy to take down and where would I be able to get that spring if it's broke?

I've taken out the trigger assembly so I know how to do that, just haven't disassembled it.

Again,,,the trigger assembly is not something everyone can fix,,,,it can be very tricky. If you're not familiar with it I would let a smitty look at it.

Back