• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HFD2 Workhorse active follower

RicksOne

*** correction "DEFENDER" follower

Hey everyone,

I wanted to do my part and provide some info since I've used so much of the great info I found here on my own 930 build. I purchased a cheap spring and follower kit from Ebay and had nothing but problems. Right at the tube extension it would bind and not allow the 7th shell in. If i did get that 7th shell in it would get stuck and not push anything out. I would then have to play with it or slam it to get the components to loosen. If i got it loose it would again bind right at the extension on the way out. Now to be fair they did try to help me by giving me a link to a thread here but it said to alter their products. I did what I read and still nothing worked right. They were kind enough to credit me but wanted an unaltered return. I reminded them they gave me a link suggesting alterations but I would gladly return what I have. There was a credit in my PayPal with in an hour. Product didn't work for me but great customer service.

I went back to looking for a proper follower and spring. This time I decided to pay for something name brand in hopes I wouldn't have the same issues. Got me a Wolff spring and searched for a follower. In the search I found a new to the market HFD2 Defender active follower. I talked to Frank and asked him if it would work for the 930 since it is marketed as a 590 follower. I figured it should but always ask. He was unsure but we agreed to try it and we would go from there. It came in yesterday and I put it right on. Slid right into place accepted the spring perfectly. It held 7 of the 2 3/4 regular length target shells but 6 if it has any kind of lip like the Estate 00 buck I have. If i remember correctly the original equipment did the same. There is no bind and no hesitation. It hand cycles flawlessly and ejects from the bottom with ease. It never got hung up at the extension and I tried to get it to bind for about 20 minutes. I am gonna put some rounds through it this weekend but I think it should work great. It feels so much better then the original and the previously purchased follower. It has a tail to prevent kinks but at the bottom the tail collapses and goes into the follower, allowing the 7th shell. The tail comes back out after a shell is ejected with the help of an internal spring.

I hope this helps some one. I'll post a report after I hit the range this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HFD2-MOSSBE...354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f5d0c912

http://www.hfd2.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up.

Defender worked terrific today. Put about 200 down range with not one problem. Slugs, 00 buck, high brass and low brass shot and anything else I was saving up. Rapid fired flawlessly with no malfunctions. I can now say I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

15021595006_zps3kdl1fiz.jpg

Forgot the pics.

Looks like it's working really well.

Back