• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

High standard firing pin problem

this is hit or miss but we were all out today shooting at some hand toss I brought out the high standard supermatic, my mossberg 500, and my tactical .22 . anyways my high standard every now and then the pin would strike just not hard enough or deep enough i guess into the primer I picked up a couple of the duds and loaded them into the 500 had no problem load a few back into the HS and hit the bolt forward and they would fire.

any idea's?

Firing pin? pin spring? hammer?

Strip it, clean it, and inspect the usual suspects. Assuming your firing pin is not bent, broken, and otherwise in working order, I'd say it's time for a new spring. When it comes to light-strikes, weakened or damaged firing pin springs are typically the culprit responsible. Good news is they're usually pretty cheap and relatively easy to replace. I'd start with installing a new spring and if that doesn't correct the issue then you can move on down the list of possibilities.

Keep us posted on what you find out...

ya it's done it since i put the ol' gal back together (shoulda seen her when i bought her) just hope i can find a spring thats correct for it instead of hardware store rigging it.

rum66runner said:
ya it's done it since i put the ol' gal back together (shoulda seen her when i bought her) just hope i can find a spring thats correct for it instead of hardware store rigging it.
I don't know if you found a spring,but the site below carries them,$2.15 each.You need to pick your model number from the list,then look through the "schematics" to find the right part number.All seem to be in stock.
Bob
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Models.aspx?catid=247

Back