• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home bluing?

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
So I've been working on this Topper 88 and it was spray painted when I got it. So I stripped it and decided to do a little cold bluing on it. I just used birchwood casey super blue and it worked well on the barrel, but the receiver isn't taking it well. Most of it just rubs off over time.

I assume that the receiver is made of a different metal which is why it's not bluing the same. Any suggestions on bluing? tricks, tips? anything i might be doing wrong?

Only carbon steel will blue.

Stainless steel or aluminum, etc will not blue.

John A. said:
Only carbon steel will blue.

Stainless steel or aluminum, etc will not blue.

John,what kind of finish do they use on aluminum receivers?

anodize or paint of one type or another.

I personally like Norrell's Moly if painting. if you don't have any plastic parts that could melt while baking.

The receiver blues, just not as readily as the barrel did...I've got more of a splotchy brownish grey color going on. And besides.... if the receiver will rust, it should blue :D at least I know it's ferrous!

Oh, and I forgot to mention I'm limited on my choices of bluing. I know brownells sells some good stuff, but it won't ship to me... so I'm stuck with the Birchwood superblue (I've got both the paste and the liquid). I'm just curious if there's something else I can do that will help it "adhere".

Back