• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How do you shoot?

OldMan

I've noticed from some of the video's posted on here that some shoot left handed. Do we have left handed shooters on board?

Me, I shoot a pistol right handed but shoot a shotgun/rifle left handed. Shooting a long gun right handed just doesn't feel natural or comfortable to me. I know, I'm weird.

My brother Phil (aka DoubleTap) is a lefty when it comes to shooting. I am sure he will chime in at some point.

Having shot competitively (the old days), I draw a pistol from the right but am ambidextrous with it. Most rifles and shotguns are both, too.

Shooting can also be dependent on your dominate eye. One of my sons and my wife are both right handed but shoot bow with their left. If you shoot with both eyes open and your left eye is dominate then you may want to shoot left handed too.

How to find which eye is dominate.

Make a triangle with both of your hands by overlapping your thumbs and the top half of your fingers.

Extend your arms toward your target.

Look through the triangle at the target.

Keep your hand-triangle small enough so that only one eye can look through it up close.

Keep both eyes open.

Move your hands back to your face, still looking at the target through your hands. Whichever eye your hands gravitate toward is your dominant eye.

Double check by holding the triangle at arms distance again and closing your non-dominant eye. The target should remain centered in the opening.

Interesting self test!
I did a test while shooting before and I can use either eye equally well.

Shooting a pistol right handed I automatically use my right eye. The opposite happens when I shoot left handed. Left eye for left handed shooting.

I'll do a test next time I'm at the range and reverse this. IE: Shoot pistol left handed and long arm right handed to see how I do.

I shoot and aim with my right side...( right hand/eye dominant )...but do practice reloads and weak hand shooting from time to time.

I shoot pistol/rifle/shotty right handed, but put me on a pool table and I'm a lefty. WIERD!!!

I'm TOTALLY right handed. I mean, I can't scratch my nose left handed.
I've been trying for years to improve my off hand shooting (with pistols) but don't do so well.

It's a real disadvantage and you guys who can just swap back and forth have no idea how much you frustrate me. My wife and both sons are ambidextrous and I'm VERY jealous.

Guess I just have to work harder to improve that weak hand. Oh darn, that means more time at the range. :D

That's crazy!! I'm definitely right eye dominant, which I thought, but I did the test to be sure. Pretty nifty how that worked! Thanks for sharing Kodiak! My husband is a lefty, he shoots left, shoots a bow left... But kicks a football right footed. I'm right handed but do many things left. When I was a child I did left sided gymnastics (using my left leg and arm as dominant), I also was a baton twirler (lol) and used both hands pretty equally. As a dental assistant I had to use my left hand dominant if I worked with a right handed Dentist, but was fine using right hand when I worked with a left handed Dr. Kinda odd. It just depends. I can only write right handed and I tried shooting my husbands AR at the range using left hand and eye and I couldn't come close! I didn't even pull the trigger because I couldn't tell where the heck I was aiming!

Ok, just had my hubby do the test... He's right eye dominant and just told me he shoots left handed but uses his right eye. I never new that!

I'm right handed and right eye dominant. Allison is right handed and left eye dominant and it took me some time to realize what she was doin.

I saw a couple times, while lookin over the gun, she was really leaning her head to the right side and finally noticed her right eye closed. I've tried to practice with her shotting with both eyes open and she would revert to tilting her head and closing her right eye... Eventually I had her just close her left eye altogether, we'll give up on the both eyes open stuff for now.

I still remind her sometimes cuz I'll see her on occassion doin it again. There are a couple of videos you can hear me ask her which eye shes using. Usually after she fires a couple shots I can tell, her accuracy suffers and she can usually drive a tack within her first shot or two. If not, shes using her left eye!

Man, I can only use my left hand for a few things. Like signalling my intentions on the road, or pointing out to someone theyre an idiot. I can pick my nose left handed too, and hold a cigarette. Thats about it.

Shooting a double action revolver 'weak handed' is one of the most awkward feeling things I've ever done. It just feels SO wrong!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Shooting a double action revolver 'weak handed' is one of the most awkward feeling things I've ever done. It just feels SO wrong!

Man, I've never even tried! I can only imagine... it would be like holding hands with a woman not my wife!

How do I shoot? I am at the target and pull the trigger. How do you shoot? From the hip?

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

tnxdshooter said:
How do I shoot? I am at the target and pull the trigger. How do you shoot? From the hip?

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless
Ya know... I oughta get my pellet gun out and learn that to shoot from the hip...

As a child, I was taught with a Winchester 25-20 saddle gun to shoot instinctively and I got very good at doing so, Now, being much older, I shoot with my right finger on the trigger and my right eye aligned with the sight but focused on the target.

Trying to get used to using the quick point with both eyes on the target.

Night shooting here at the Kat Ranch, (only thing we have much luck at raising are cats.), I shoot from the hip with laser and light. Raccoons, possums, farrow cats and hogs, armadillos, skunks and anything else that wants to upset the kennel or household are fair game I let the rabbits and deer fend for themselves. The deer do alright if the neighbors wife doesn't get them. The rabbits, if they make it past the cats, will do OK as well.

Back