• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How i cut my 18" handle version down to 16" (pictures)

BowerR64

.270 WIN
First you need to check whats legal i think 16" is the minimum on rifles or "carbines" i have another tactical .22 and its 16" i wanted my 715T to fit into the same case. Once i added the flash hider the 18" barrel made it a little to longe to fit.

This is not an easy job if your not good with working on things and dont have the tools i wouldnt recomend it. I used a large vise mounted to a bench, hacksaw, dremel and a drill.

I used my cleaning rods and i inserted them into the muzzle with the slide closed. The rod stops at the breech face of the slide. Measures 18" so i measured down 2" and strted cutting. The cool thing about the handle version is it has a front strap mount that mounts around the barrel inside the front sight mount. I used a strip of tape and then slid the strap mount down over the tape and used it as a guide for my hacksaw. The saw chewed the strap mount up a little but nothing major the front sight hides the end anyway.

Took me a good 1/2 hour of constant cutting to get all the way threw, i kept turning it and cut about 1/16th" at a time till i got threw it. I then cleaned it up with a larger cutting disk in my dremel. All that i did on my lap with just hand tools. I then took the barrel down to the garage and mounted it in a vice between to blocks of wood. Chucked up these 1" ball grinding bits i got off e-bay in my drill and started to reshape the muzzle.

Once i got the end all the way down to the shape of the ball grider i cleaned it up with emery cloth i believe they are like 800 and 1000 then i worked down with wet dry sand paper to 2500. I got tired of hand sanding so i just put a crown on the inside with a brass tool and lappying compund i also got off e-bay. I may clean it up some more but i think this is good enough it should shoot fine like this and the flash hider covers the end so it doesnt need to be a mirror finish.

Cost me $13. for 5 1" ball grinders off ebay (pink ones)
The crown tool came with lapping compound it was also $13.
I had all the other tools, hacksaw, dremel, drill and emery cloth.

Stock muzzle shape and crown
715Tstockcrown_zps4c45f90d.jpg

Recrownmuzzle1_zpsb1db27cb.jpg

Recrownmuzzle2_zps1250ba0e.jpg

This is the new muzzle shape and crown. Ill find out how it shoots soon.

715Tnewcrown_zpsbca58262.jpg

You can kinda see the difference 2" made? *shrugs*
Mossberg715Tcutdownbarrel_zps4e442cc5.jpg

Thanks took me about a days worth of work. Weird part was after i cut it i did minimal crown work to the end of the muzzle just used the ball grinder a little bit then use the crown lapping tool and went and shot it on the 3-31 and it shot as good as it did stock.

The last image of the muzzle in the second group is how i shot it on 3-31 and i was suprised how good it shot.

I have not shot it yet since i complete the end and put the flash hider back on then i also reblued it.

Mossberg715Tbarrelcut_zps6e3c863a.jpg

This is how it looked after 100 rounds on 3-31 the muzzle was just about half finished.

Afterafter_zps0b22e056.jpg

Afterafter2_zps9eec353a.jpg

It shot great, i ran some CCI standard velocity threw it i got at the local gun shop it didnt skip a beat with it. ILl have to take the muzzle brake off now and take pictures of the blast pattern and post pictures of it.

As far as i can tell though it shoots the same as it did.

Mossberg715Tscope_zps508d64f2.jpg

Back