• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to Build the Ultimate Survival Shotgun

Now, that's funny. I don't care who you are. I'd like to take one of those guys "classes" just for the entertainment value. :lol:

Yeah, and I could see someone using a flare round to start a fire...stick the barrel in the nicely prepared bunch of receptive fines, pull the trigger and boom fire spread for about 20 feet in every direction :lol: I didn’t read about the other very important component to the steel wool for starting a fire...and I don’t think you should be making a sling out of cordage, especially with the weight of that gun, your going to need that sling.....I don’t like any of it really, the saw is kind of a good idea. Just stuff all that crap in a backpack and be on your way....JMO

Survival “kits “ are cool for a night or two, but really one needs techniques and methods to survive well after your kit is rendered itself useless. I am no Bear Grills but have spent many consecutive nights in the wilds and some people put too much stock in “I got a kit, I am good”…for about 12 hours….knowledge never runs out.

Welcome to Mossbergowners, not a dig on your link, to each their own, glad to have you.

oli700 said:
Yeah, and I could see someone using a flare round to start a fire...stick the barrel in the nicely prepared bunch of receptive fines, pull the trigger and boom fire spread for about 20 feet in every direction :lol: I didn’t read about the other very important component to the steel wool for starting a fire...and I don’t think you should be making a sling out of cordage, especially with the weight of that gun, your going to need that sling.....I don’t like any of it really, the saw is kind of a good idea. Just stuff all that crap in a backpack and be on your way....JMO

Survival “kits “ are cool for a night or two, but really one needs techniques and methods to survive well after your kit is rendered itself useless. I am no Bear Grills but have spent many consecutive nights in the wilds and some people put too much stock in “I got a kit, I am good”…for about 12 hours….knowledge never runs out.

Welcome to Mossbergowners, not a dig on your link, to each their own, glad to have you.

I think its awesome!

I mean. Sure, its not perfect. And yea, a kit only grts you through a couple days tops.. but, most people have a gun in there kit anyway right?

I think a more appropriate name would be "camping kit". This would be great for a camping trip.

Honestly. I think it gets cool points. Lol. Though i might so it differently.... Red dot sight... More shells (given it had to be on the gun, he could have added more places to hold shells)

And as for the bayonet. Its obvious hes not trying to use it as a bayonet. More like a place to hold his knife...

... I however, would want it to be mounted to also be used as a bayonet.

gibson_es said:
I think its awesome!
I'm sure I am going to be the minority on this one

gibson_es said:
I mean. Sure, its not perfect. And yea, a kit only grts you through a couple days tops.. but, most people have a gun in there kit anyway right?
Not sure I get this, people have different meanings for "Zombie apocalypse". Some people mean if society turns bad...pretty sure it’s going to last more than couple days.
Some people really mean undead zombie apocalypse like in the movies or video games, IMO it is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard ....and it would last more than a couple of days.

gibson_es said:
I think a more appropriate name would be "camping kit". This would be great for a camping trip.
Why is that….incase you forget everything at home? but happen to rememember your 30 pound shotgun

Im not refering to a zombie ran world.. i think that shouldnt have been envolved really. I think its just as stupid as you do, so on that, we agree. When i said a kit, i was refering to a survival kit in general. I dont keep one handy at all times, but i put one togeather when camping or whatever. That might be were some confusion lies. To me, a survival kitbis only made for a couple/few days. Maybe you got turned around/lost deep in woods. Just an example i guess. I dont think any "kit" would do much good for a zombie apocalypse. But again. I think thst a zombie apocalypes is B.S. anyway.

As fsr as your last quote reply..

No, but if your camping and venture out from the tent to hunt, and get lost or a minor injury that might require a nights rest or two, you got what you need in the gun.

I see it like this...

Does it hurt to have an extra lighter? Flashlight? Knife? Compass? First aid kit? No.. it wouldnt if inside something your going to carry anyway.

You can say "i wouldnt get lost" or "i wouldnt carry a shotgun"

If thats the case. Then i guess this isnt for you.

I feel confedent i wouldnt get lost in woods i know. But if im camping somewere new, there is a SLIM possibility it could happen. and i do prefer to have a shotgun with me if its more then one night, part of the fun of camping, for me, is finding your own food.

gibson_es said:
Im not refering to a zombie ran world.. i think that shouldnt have been envolved really. I think its just as stupid as you do, so on that, we agree.

Thank god.

I guess around my parts we always have this sort of stuff around so its just different hearing it called survival kit or EDC. Here its a way of life and not something you gather when you go somewhere.....you just have it and people who don’t make the news. Not trying to disagree just learning the way people do things in other places. .....Up to about 2 years ago I lived in a place all my life that didn’t have internet, and one channel of good TV and three fuzzy channels. I got introduced to the internet in 2002 and that was in "town" so I didn’t get to use it till I got promoted and got an office in town, two years ago I bought a house that has internet service.....don’t take my typing wrong as its not meant to be confrontational.....but I didnt need internet to know that the dude with the steel wool is going to need a 9v battery to start a fire, and as far finding food for fun...I guess, but again for the first 25 years of my life it was more necessity than fun.....

I've long liked "The Art of Manliness", its a pretty cool site!

The gun... Its cool in its way. Yeah, I keep all that stuff in a back pack, including the 9V battery to use with the steel wool. I keep a few different means of starting fires too... just not in my gun.

Zombie Apocalypse BS? :eek: Well, who knows, who knows...

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!!! :D

Rossignol said:
Zombie Apocalypse BS? :eek: Well, who knows, who knows...

You know what I hope it happens, that way I got an excuse to shoot stupid ass people :)

Back