• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How to decide on powder?

Hi, honkey~

Good question. Here's how they compare.

Both cost virtually exactly the same for a 1-lb bottle and are made by the same company (Alliant).

Powders are broken into basically three burn rate categories: Fast, Medium and Slow.

Fast powders like Bullseye are used for very light target loads thru medium velocity for a given cartridge. Contrary to what you might think, "fast powder" DOES NOT mean it will push a bullet out the barrel the fastest. On the contrary, you will never be able to safely load Bullseye and a bullet to the maximum velocity the cartridge is capable of. To try to do so will cause overpressures which can cause tremendous damage to the gun and the shooter. Bullseye measures for the 158-gr LSWC bullet range from "very light" 650-fps loads with about 2.8-grains of powder, to "medium velocity" 750-fps with about 3.5 grains of powder. So while it isn't capable of faster loads it is very economical in that a pound (7000 grains) of Bullseye can load maybe 2,000+ cartridges. Bullseye is also inherently dangerous (particularly to beginning reloaders) because the very small charge weights allow a double or even triple accidental overcharge to fit inside the case and if not caught can be catastrophic. A big plus is that Bullseye burns very cleanly at all loads and leaves very little residue behind.

Here's what Bullseye looks like (this pic is actually of Alliant 2400 but Alliant Bullseye looks almost exactly the same). Being somewhat finer-grain than Unique it measures a bit better and very consistently with very little weight deviation from round to round.

2400.jpg

Unique is a "medium rate" powder and is made up of larger flakes making it bulkier and more difficult to overcharge. Being a medium rate powder, it is best used for achieving mid-to-heavy loads as it can 1) get bullets up to higher velocities and 2) burns completely only at higher velocities. If you tried to load some 650-fps target loads with Unique you can certainly do it, but without the pressure of recommended loads it doesn't burn completely and leaves a LOT of soot and dirty residue in and on your firearm. Unique is a truly outstanding powder and is still economical although for .38-Special 750-fps loads with your bullet you're looking at 4.5-grains and for 850-fps +P loads you're looking at 5.0~5.2-grains so a pound of powder doesn't last quite as long as Bullseye. (Either powder costs only a few cents per round so I never sweat the cost) Unique is excellent in both 9mm and .38-special handloads. It is coarser so it fills up a case more and makes triple charges impossible and double charges very unlikely.

Unique.jpg

So in short,

Bullseye for maximum economy plus clean burning, but the trade-off is slower velocities and a risk of accidental overcharges.

Unique for faster velocities only in order to burn clean and less chance of overcharge, but you can't load it light and it's coarseness makes it tend to measure with +/- 0.2-grains accuracy which is still totally acceptable and it is not quite as economical if you are figuring your "per-round" cost down to the tenth of a cent.

Oh, and SLOW powders are generally used ONLY for very high velocity loads like the magnums. Slow gets a bullet going the fastest but has to have a LOT of pressure to burn completely which means the bullet is going to really zing.

I use very little Bullseye, and a LOT of Unique for my 9mm, .38-Special, .45Auto and 20-ga shotshell.

Wow, I really didn't intend for this to get so long winded............ But it's all information needed to answer your question.

That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. It sounds like for my first couple of batches that I should use the Unique and then after I feel a bit more comfortable and get my process down that Bullseye will be good for target loads. I really liked the DEWC target loads you let me use the other day and I am sure my fiancee would enjoy those more than the ammo I had bought before. She didn't like the recoil of the cheap stuff I had bought before.

honkey said:
That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. It sounds like for my first couple of batches that I should use the Unique and then after I feel a bit more comfortable and get my process down that Bullseye will be good for target loads. I really liked the DEWC target loads you let me use the other day and I am sure my fiancee would enjoy those more than the ammo I had bought before. She didn't like the recoil of the cheap stuff I had bought before.

Did I leave you with some of them? I can't remember....

If not, I can arrange to get you stocked up with some for her to try until you get set up yourself.

BTW, I'm off tonight and am TRULY ENJOYING a couple of your microbrewed Pale Ales. They are marvelous tasting and I'm convinced that I've paid dearly for many bottled beers that weren't nearly as good!

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you left any of the DEWC, but she will have plenty fun shooting my 9mm and .22 until I load my own light target rounds.
I am glad you're enjoying the beer, although I feel like I owe you many more 6-packs for all the things you gave me!

I actually left you with some mid-range DEWC ammo, which was in a B&W box marked 148-gr DEWC - 3.8-gr Bullseye. This was the one you said felt similar to the Nyclad factory ammo you brought, and it had somewhat more recoil than the light 2.8-gr Bullseye load I brought. Sorry I didn't leave you with the softer shooting stuff.

You and I should discuss in another thread how to get started with Lee Powder Dippers for under $20 until you get a powder measure ($60~$100) and a scale ($50~$100).

nitesite said:
I actually left you with some mid-range DEWC ammo, which was in a B&W box marked 148-gr DEWC - 3.8-gr Bullseye. This was the one you said felt similar to the Nyclad factory ammo you brought, and it had somewhat more recoil than the light 2.8-gr Bullseye load I brought. Sorry I didn't leave you with the softer shooting stuff.

You and I should discuss in another thread how to get started with Lee Powder Dippers for under $20 until you get a powder measure ($60~$100) and a scale ($50~$100).

The kit I am going to order (Lee Anniversary) comes with a scale and powder measure. It sounds like they may be pretty cheap since the whole kit with press is just over $100. Do you know if these work alright?

That Anniversary Kit works just fine or Lee would not have been selling that kit for all these years.

The powder measure is pretty basic, and the scale although rudimentary is actually quite accurate for its design. Honestly, that set-up has components that you will still be using even if you later move up to a more expensive setup. The Anniversary kit has a pretty crappy priming method and I don't care at all for it.

GET THIS LEE KIT instead. It's only $117 at Midsouth and is far and away a better deal.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0000690030

The hand priming tool and its "all calibers" shell holder set is worth about $40 by itself and it will let you prime any of your cases anywhere, even in front of the TV, with better results than a stupid tube-feed "on the press" design.

Thanks for the heads up. I should be ordering the equipment next week... I would have done so already if that deal for the XD didn't come up.

honkey said:
Thanks for the heads up. I should be ordering the equipment next week... I would have done so already if that deal for the XD didn't come up.

I would have bought that XD (for the price you paid) any day of the week. Deals like that only come around rarely. Thanks for letting me take a look at it. Awesome compact 9mm.......

nitesite said:
Kemph's Gun Shop is a great place to buy a complete kit, which does include the three-die caliber set that is over $30 by itself.

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?pag ... &Itemid=41

The Challenger Kit from midsouth dosn't have the die set for one caliber but is pretty complete overall.

Here's Leeprecision's description..

http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-kit.html

I keep trying to research questions so as not to over ask, but you keep coaxing me along! I had been looking at the 3 and 4 die sets and have been trying to figure out if it is worth it to get the 4 die set for the Factory Crimp Die. I have seen a few people say that the crimp die isn't necessary and others that say they couldn't get accurate loads without it. What do you think?

I had been looking at the 3 and 4 die sets and have been trying to figure out if it is worth it to get the 4 die set for the Factory Crimp Die. I have seen a few people say that the crimp die isn't necessary and others that say they couldn't get accurate loads without it. What do you think?

I bought the 4-die sets in several pistol calibers when I was buying copper-jacketed commercial bullets at the beginning. I actually found that they didn't really accomplish much.

When I began casting my own, I discovered that depending on the case wall thickness the "Lee Factory Crimp Die" (otherwise abbreviated as the FCD) actually hurt accuracy. See, a tight bullet fit to the bore is crucial for several reasons. And a brass case when sized down actually springs back a little to a diameter maybe 0.001"~0.002" bigger than the sizing stroke. But the lead bullet which was seated inside doesn't spring back. So you are left with a case wall that is "in spec" as far as dimensionally, but how you have an undersized lead bullet crimped in there.

Undersized will usually lead to gas cutting of the bullet against the bore, which melts the side of the bullet and leaves leading, which degrades accuracy and makes clean-up harder.

The 4th die (FCD) might have its place but rarely have I found any benefit. The 3rd die (bullet seater) when adjusted correctly will seat a bullet (doesn't matter if it's jacketed or plated or cast lead or swaged lead) and then perform a proper crimp operation all on one downstroke. The revolver dies seat the bullet and make a roll crimp which you can adjust to be light/medium/heavy. The pistol caliber dies seat the bullet and add a dimensionally correct taper crimp to the case wall.

I think a 3-die set is all one needs.

This crap gets really boring awfully fast, doesn't it???? :lol:

:lol: I’m the same way, you should have seen us trying to get the crimp right on the flat tip 9mm we just loaded….it was comical.

Great questions honkey. Like you, I'm in the research phase trying to decide what to buy and use so all these threads are helping me out a lot as well, so thanks to ya'll with answers!

Back