• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hunting in Texas

Over the years of hunting in Texas I found that not only pick up the TPWD hunting regulation handbook from your local sporting goods store and or in todays modern age checking the TPWD website ( Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept). But also check the local TPWD office of the county you are going to hunt in plus the United States Forestry Service. I hunt alot on Texas WMA (Wildlife Managment Areas) over the years because they are alot more cheaper than a lease. Here is a link to the TPWD WMA permits and a map of them and if you click on the location on the map it will give more info for that location http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hu ... c_hunting/.

Case in point. I went bow hunting in Red River county in Texas back in 85 on some private land leased by International Paper Company for logging. Cost me 10 dollars to get a permit from the paper company plus my hunting lic to hunt there. Both the USFS and TPWD manage the land at the time and I visited both offices a couple of months earlier when I went and check out the area where I wanted to set up a primitive camp and check out game trails and such. This lease covered over 19 thousand acreas of land on both sides of road 37 at the time and when I went bow hunting I found out that there was only 2 of us at the time during that season hunting there and we where on different sides of road 37 from each other :D .

The regulation at the time was that the USFS and TPWD had concerning bucks and does was that I could harvest 1 buck and 2 does at that time that year and take them to a store /check station in Negley TX after field dressing where they took weight and measurements to record plus they offer processing and storage for a pretty good price at the time and or a choice cut of the meat. . Now every time I visited a USFS and a TPWD office I always get a business card or have them write their name title and phone number down in case there are any questions later.

Well I got my buck and 2 does over a 4 day period and each time after I field dress them I took them to the store/check station for their thing that they did at the time for the USFS and TPWD and for processing and storage. With my last doe I meet the local Game warden at the store/check station and we talk and he advise me I have illegally taken one to many deer and he was gonna to confiscate my deer and my bow. Luckly I had the contact info for the peeps I talk to at the USFS and TPWD and he called from the store/check station and found out I was legal and the law was for next year deer season. He was pretty nice and professional about the whole thing and in fact I gave him 4 pounds of deer steak to show there was no hard feelings about it :D.

He hangs out there all the time to get free deer steak.
He's not even a game warden. Just some guy that hangs around town. ;)

Back