• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hunting Vehicle

What do you take hunting with you?

I have a 2011 F150 Lariat. It gets the job done but it will need some better tires once these wear out.

92a1016c337d8cbad3e52537bd5ed184.jpg

d46fff2b4f1bb80903134c627be0e669.jpg

fbcde0ddf116987c3e5083bc2528fc2b.jpg

image.jpeg The desert tank. Torque 1150, 6 speed nv5600, Detroit locker rear, arb aor locker up front, monster cummins power. Runs like a rapped ape.

We already have a show us your truck thread. I thought that this thread might be for quads or similar: more dedicated shooting platforms.

I don't hunt anymore but I like to go plinking out in the forest. I'm planning to put together a small off road vehicle just for this purpose, to act as a gun Bearer, hold targets and supplies, and basically crawl up any ghost of a dirt road at 10 or 20 miles an hour.

I was thinking of buying one of these modern Hi-Tech quad vehicles just to go shooting in but then I realize you could spend ten or $20,000 and up and decided I would just build myself some kind of off road buggy.

We already have a show us your truck thread. I thought that this thread might be for quads or similar: more dedicated shooting platforms.

I don't hunt anymore but I like to go plinking out in the forest. I'm planning to put together a small off road vehicle just for this purpose, to act as a gun Bearer, hold targets and supplies, and basically crawl up any ghost of a dirt road at 10 or 20 miles an hour.

I was thinking of buying one of these modern Hi-Tech quad vehicles just to go shooting in but then I realize you could spend ten or $20,000 and up and decided I would just build myself some kind of off road buggy.

By the time you spend that on a quad you could have an older truck. :)

Oh absolutely.

The thing is that a quad is much more maneuverable and gets through much smaller spaces. Uses less fuel too. Because it's lighter it doesn't sink in soft spots or tear up the ground as much either.

I'm still thinking I might pick up a used one.

Actually have everything I need to build a 2 wheel drive off road hunting buggy except for a suitable engine. My dad taught me all that stuff from the age of 6. Welding & mechanical work is not beyond me.

I'll be retiring next year so I'll have more time for that kind of stuff.

In the old days you'd just buy a used car that was already beat up, bob the fenders off, loose the hood, bumpers, knock all the windows out. Instant hunting buggy and you spent maybe $125

I could basically do that with a used car, but they are bigger & in either event I will have to tow to wherever I want to drive it.

Last edited:
BTW, I do have this Toyauto, but it's still much too pretty to take hunting.

14636768610101264863788.jpg

Last edited:
scoutlil.jpg
If I get really serious I can put Dad's old Scout back on the road.

Out here people overheat the engines and they wind up in the junk yard.

I had a friend who was a tractor mechanic and he owned a Samurai. He drove it to work everyday, and he said he liked it. But I noticed that he didn't keep it very long.

Back