• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I love it when a good 590A1 comes together.

Well my new barrel with front sight post arrived from Mossberg (part #12464P for anyone interested in ordering). Total cost with shipping is $135. As others have stated here its less expensive to purchase a new barrel with the front sight on it from the factory then it is to buy the front sight and have someone install it for you.

Also ordered the Mossberg Ghost Ring Sight set, only needed the rear half. Magpul SGA buttstock, GG&G front quick attach sling swivel, and a Magpul sling.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I am really liking this new set-up. For anyone on the fence about the Magpul SGA buttstock, don't be. I battled back and forth about its looks and I know, as long as it functions who cares about what it looks like. Regardless, every photo I saw it looked giant. Like a big o'le heavy metal boot that a Member of KISS would wear or something.

It is not as big as it looks in photos. When I opened the box I was a little confused, and happy.

I tried it with no spacers but ended up installing one and it feels great. I am very pleased with the purchase.

I had planned to go with a Mesa shotshell holder but after a lot of research I decided to go with removable Esstac shotshell cards.

I wasn't happy about throwing velcro right on my receiver, I'm sure it's fine but I wanted to take a different approach, so I bought a Tacstar shotshell carrier. I discarded the front plastic piece. I took the aluminum back piece and cut around 3/16 of an inch off of the top and cut out a slot so the serial # would be visible. Velcro brand velcro was fround at Home Depot, 2" x 4', and seems to be a good quality velcro.

I'm not sure about my sling placement yet as it takes a little maneuvering/wiggling for it to be comfortable. It could be that I'm just used to an AR. Time and use will tell I guess.

I like your tacstar/Velcro hybrid! I know Vang Comp sells something very similar, but your solution is quite bit more economical! Nicely done, and great looking 590! You planning on selling your original barrel to recoupe some cash?

aksavanaman said:
I like your tacstar/Velcro hybrid! I know Vang Comp sells something very similar, but your solution is quite bit more economical! Nicely done, and great looking 590! You planning on selling your original barrel to recoupe some cash?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, the hybrid cost half of what the Vang Comp runs. Funny thing is I had started working out the details to make it before I even saw the Vang Comp model. When I found the VC one online While looking for something else I tried to order one but couldn't find one for a Mossberg for sale anywhere so I just went back to the original plan.

I plan to hang on to the original bead sight barrel just in case. You know, the whole two is one and one is none deal.

I'm gonna tell you what, that is one bad-ass great looking shotgun setup. For real.

nitesite said:
I'm gonna tell you what, that is one bad-ass great looking shotgun setup. For real.

I've been having a fever again.... And the only thing that'll cure it is a cheap used 500 I can tacticool to my harts desire ( just couldn't change my 590a1 set up!) to possibly include this Magpul furniture!

nonmyrmidon said:
I'm not sure about my sling placement yet as it takes a little maneuvering/wiggling for it to be comfortable. It could be that I'm just used to an AR. Time and use will tell I guess.

What sling are you using?

aksavanaman said:
I've been having a fever again.... And the only thing that'll cure it is a cheap used 500 I can tacticool to my harts desire ( just couldn't change my 590a1 set up!) to possibly include this Magpul furniture!

Don't ever think of changing that 590A1. It's fantastic!!!

aksavanaman said:
nonmyrmidon said:

It's the Magpul MS4 sling. I'm not sure that it's the sling that's the problem though. I put a Vickers sling on it and had the same results.

I'm thinking that I'm just not use to a shotgun. It's been around 15 or so years since I've had handled one.

nonmyrmidon said:
aksavanaman said:
nonmyrmidon said:

It's the Magpul MS4 sling. I'm not sure that it's the sling that's the problem though. I put a Vickers sling on it and had the same results.

I'm thinking that I'm just not use to a shotgun. It's been around 15 or so years since I've had handled one.

Is your sling meant for carry or shooting stability?

I agree with Nitesite, that is one badass looking setup.

Well done sir!!

nitesite said:
Is your sling meant for carry or shooting stability?

The sling is just meant for carry but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to carry a shotgun.

I had just figured to carry it like an AR. By sticking my head and left arm through the sling. The butt of the stock is located in position at my right shoulder.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone for the compliments. All influence came from this site. I learned it by watching you guys.

nonmyrmidon said:
I'm not exactly sure how to carry a shotgun.

I had just figured to carry it like an AR. By sticking my head and left arm through the sling. The butt of the stock is located in position at my right shoulder.

That looks really nice.

As for sling carry a shotgun, the way you describe is adequate.

Walking long periods "at ease" may get cumbersome though. In that case, you'd just have to experiment to see what works for you. Traditional carry over a shoulder works better for me when walking long periods just carrying the gun.

I'm liking that stock more and more every time I see it. Great looking shotgun Sir!

(Hijack)
How do you set up a sling for stability?

3skulls said:
(Hijack)
How do you set up a sling for stability?

Sorry that I brought that up. My fault, because I am a shotgun slug shooter plus a rifle shooter so I use a 2-point sling to help accuracy in certain situations.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/outdoor-lea ... ingLee.png

HastyslingLee.png

Back