• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I thouht my sights would be set by now

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0719.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0715.jpg~original

I ordered this rear sight for my Mossberg 500 20 ga. with bead front sight so I could use it at the local range which requires all shotgun have sights for use on the rifle range. Lo and behold the screw is too small for the screw holes along the top of the receiver. The base of the sight is curved nicely to fit the curve of the top of the receiver but it can't be screwed down; the screw slips right down the hole. What do I need to make this work? Is there a low profile curved rail for this? Epoxy?
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0651.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0718.jpg~original
[
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0717.jpg~original
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0716-1.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0722.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0723.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0726.jpg~original

Can you just open up the hole in the sight and use a screw the appropriate size for the receiver? it also might require enlarging the recess for the screw head.

Can you just open up the hole in the sight and use a screw the appropriate size for the receiver? it also might require enlarging the recess for the screw head.
Yes, I may end up doing just that. I was hoping to avoid drilling but it does look like the most obvious solution. With no real workbench or vice it will be a matter of clamping the darn thing to a two-by-four.

Find a friend with a drill press and a vise, it will make things a lot easier.

Parabellus, I have a question. Did you also get a front site, or are you using the bead?
My Mossy is old enough that the receiver isn't tapped, and I sure do want to mount some optics.

The deed is done. I found the right screw (thread) at Ace, found the right length, drilled out the hole in the base, widened and deepened the recess, filed down the head of the screw to not interfere with the dovetail, screwed it solidly onto the receiver, and now I can take it to the range. I may even find the sight useful..... It is not pretty but it is nominally functional.
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0731.jpg~original

BTW I will use it with the bead sights on both the 18.5" barrel and the 26" ribbed barrel that has a second post about halfway up the rib.
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0737.jpg~original

Thanks for the reply
Looks good. I wonder if the sight was "opened" up a bit, could more accuracy could be gained?
TJ

I think you are going to shoot really high on target. But I'm glad you can now comply with the rules of the range.

Thanks for the help and encouragement all. Hope to get out and see what distance this sight combination might be accurate. At least I can go do it now.

I find this interesting. Why would they require a rear sight on a shotgun ?
I guess because shotguns on the rifle line are shooting slugs only at rifle targets so they need front and rear sights.
No sights are required on the clay pigeon range.

I would think the need for a sight would depend on how accurate you would want to be. but to require it just because
is a bit confusing to me. maybe ask them so we could maybe understand that.

Took both Mossbergs to the range yesterday to check out the new sight and get the feel of the 590 with the recently added wood (without the Limbsaver stock it had).
I took lots of slugs and had to show the range master that they both had sights front and rear. He made sure that I knew not to fire any kind of shot shells. The Idea seems to be that since this is a rifle range they don.t want anyone's scatter shot to hit other targets. No hip shots nor cradling the weapon against the chest. Only aimed controlled fire allowed.
On that note here is the newest version of Crossbegs.
M590_12ga_P8464362004-1216.jpg~original

How was the accuracy once you added the sight? Were you shooting really high? I would think so since the front bead and rear sight are not going to be on the same plane...

Back