• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

If you KNEW an economic depression were coming...

Tom396

.30-06
If you have a crystal ball (that actually worked) and absolutely knew a true economic depression were about to start, would there be any preparations you would do to make your own life more liveable? Not an outright collapse, but a depression.

I'm thinking there wouldn't be too much to do. I don't think folks would become animals... they didn't during the last depression. So I'm thinking that stockpiling ammunition wouldn't necessarily change your quality of life.

But what would you do? Stockpile food? Stockpile gold? Plant crops? Pull your money out of the bank and buy things before your dollars became too devalued? Would you look at the job you currently have and try and hold onto it more tightly? Just something to discuss, given current events. Take care. Tom Worthington.

We arent far off a depression, and infact by some measures, statistics today are worse than during the last depression. The devaluation of the housing market for example, percentages are worse now than before and will continue to get worse as due to regulation, banks are not forclosing on property as readily as they would during times of plenty. Those forclosures will come due however, so the full impact has not yet been realized. Thats just one example of measure.

What to do... I kinda agree at this point about stockpiling food as much as is possible and take care of things now as much as possible, like goin to the dentist, have filling and stuff taken care of. Dont know what will happen with insurance down the road.

And yes on the ammo and firearms. Desperate situations create desperate people, drug use becomes worse, and good people can snap under the weight of not knowing how to provide for their families.

I have little use for gold and silver. If you cant trade it it wont matter, but that would be in the case of a larger collapse, and not just a depression.

I def say become more self reliant in as much as youre able, learn to grow and plant, look for seeds that produce fruit and seeds that can plant again and again. Much of the hybrid stuff approved by the FDA doesnt reproduce fruit bearing seeds, like its all sterile. Additionally, it isnt difficult to keep a handful of chickens and a rooster. Fresh eggs and meat and theyll reproduce future generations of egg and meat providers. A couple goats as well for milk. They dont have to be 350 lb. Boer goats. But a buck and a few does will provide milk and meat and offspring for trade/barter. Dont forget hides that can be tanned!

Really more a matter of learning the things of survival and self reliance, but def buying when able while you can some of the the lasting things that make life easier.

In the long run, my faith and hope lie with the Lord, the Great Provider, in whom I have never had a reason to not trust or have faith in to provide in my need. He whispers to our spirit in the good times and in the lean times its more like a megaphone.

Given my current situation. not alot to add to life. maybe move assets from one form to another, but at the moment, those assets aren't worth as much as they should be.

I'm originally from Oklahoma. Enid Specifically. Though now my wife and I reside in Wichita.

In a depression you don't have to worry so much about Mad Max as you do Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker.

There are a host of Survival books you can read and I'm sure others will be along shortly to list them. I myself think you should read Mark Steyn's After America. Because it makes the best case I've ever seen, for the fact that the United States of America with 50 States, as we know it, not surviving this depression, like it did the depression in the 1920's and 30's.

Were looking at a Soviet Union style break up and regional Balkanization of the country. With all the dangers that entails.

The worst case scenario would be Bosnia West of the Mississippi.

This would be in the extreme event of large scale riots and backlash during a drepression or collapse;

Anonymous; Citizen Survival Guide

its kinda a basic synapsis of survival, being prepared, what to watch for and how not to be a target.

Heres another decent read and perspective on crisis and collapse by a guy who survived the Balkan war trapped in the city for a year;

logo2x.png

SHTF School

Mylastrook said:
I'm originally from Oklahoma. Enid Specifically. Though now my wife and I reside in Wichita.

In a depression you don't have to worry so much about Mad Max as you do Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker.

Other than stealing cars, they didn't bother individuals so much as they did the banks. Maybe some caught in crossfire, but they didn't target specifically.

I'd go with preparing in terms of knowledge. HOW to provide key things for yourself. I've been taking flak for years over my unusual interest in various forms of self reliance. heat, electricity, fuel, etc. woodgas generators, alcohol production and still construction. collecting hand tools and items to maintain them. my wife drew the line when I started laying in a supply of water in recycled soda bottles.
check out knowledgepublications.com and journeytoforever.org

also: Luke 22:36
I think I'll engrave that on my shotgun somewhere.

Mylastrook wrote:

OP
Other than stealing cars, they didn't bother individuals so much as they did the banks. Maybe some caught in crossfire, but they didn't target specifically.

If you think Bonnie and Clyde were some sort of misunderstood folk hero's. Maybe your part of every bodies SHTF problem list. In which case I'd suggest you guy a lot more food than gun's there Machine Gun Kelly.

I do not think you can compare people now with people that lived in the last depression. I believe mankind has gone down a notch or two in the last 100 or so years. IMHO

I have been questioning if we aren't already in a 2nd great depression. I don't think anyone wants to label the current crisis with that term because they don't want a run on the banks and they need people to spend to help out the economy.

I think to get through people need to be as self reliant as possible, have a good attitude and can be happy with the simple things in life. I like do it yourself activities and I would try and expand on them to get through. Gardening is something I already do and we are looking to can more this year. I am thinking of getting some chickens too. We have a lot of Amish in this area and I would take a que from them and barter for goods and services where possible. I think I'd also build a smoke house and if the law wasn't around I'd expand my home brewing for sale/trade.

Back