• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I'm getting closer

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Hey guys,

I'm getting closer to reloading. I was going to go to Cabelas after Christmas and get some of the things I need but with all the buying going on I stopped at my LGS and picked up 500 125 grain 9mm and 500 55 grain .223. That will cover my 9mm brass and all 300 of the .223 brass I have. I'd have more .223 if the Mini 14 didn't throw it to the next county. I really need a smaller gas block bushing.

Santa just needs to bring me the Lee Starter Set, the dies and primers and I'll get the powder.

I'm getting pumped to get started reloading! I even have a bench with shelves I cleared off right near my homebrewing bench. I guess I shouldn't mix one with the other.

edit - oh yeah, I have been reading up too.

-Mike

I'm excited for you!

I like Lee reloading products, and use many of them.

The Lee set was so much less expensive that it made me think it couldn't be any good - you get what you pay for. However, the good reports here and elsewhere sold me on it.

Thanks for the link Old Mossy! I also found Titan Reloading in a thread here and found them to have prices that beat the big boys.

Hey, one day closer!

Right on Mike!....used stuff is hard to beat, I got my MEC 600jr for less than 120 bucks on ebay and it’s like new because most reloading stuff is built tough..... good suggestion.

I've loaded thousands of rounds of 12G on a cheap Lee Load All press I bought back in colleage (and still have :D ) and have loaded up to 30-06 in a RCBS Partner press which was not really designed for rifle cartridges but can be done if you take your time.

The nice thing about reloading equipment is that unless it's been really abused it will probably outlast all of us. I would have no qualms about buying used

I've not used Lee Presses (The Load All Shotgun press is not really the same) but have never heard anything bad about them and am seriouosly considering one or those package deals in Nitesite's link as I am looking to jump back into it a bit.

The kit has virtually everything, but I woul dsuggest getting the powder measure "upgrade" which is only a few more dollars because it is more accurate and repeatable from powder drop to powder drop.

Other than that, you REALLY CAN load 200-rds per hour of virtually any pistol/revolver cartridge and even many rifle cartridges,

I don't own one because I was already set up with a press and all the other stuff when LEE came out with the Classic Cast Turret Press, but I have steered several local buddies toward getting one and it's really amazing how fast we have cranked out quality ammunition whenever I have been over at their man-caves and pulled the handle like a rookie with a new press.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas guys. I do keep an eye on Craigslist and I'll have to check out the Penns Woods site. I pretty sure I'll be getting the Lee single and not the turret. That should get me going. As with my old car and home brew hobbies I started out small and grew them. I have a feeling this will be the same way!

I load all my pistol and rifle ammo on what is basically a single stage press. I make plenty of ammo, more than I find myself shooting up, and it's really good schidt as well.

If you get the single stage you'll be just fine. And besides, there is a certain Zen that comes with crafting every cartridge with loving attention.

Your reloading-fu will be strong.

I finally got some time yesterday to start setting things up. I have the press, scale and dispenser assembled. I got the junk cleared off an otherwise unused work bench in the basement for it. I need to get some longer bolts to mount the press today. I also need to install a light. It was way to dim for reloading...ever closer.

:arrow:

nitesite said:
there is a certain Zen that comes with crafting every cartridge with loving attention.

Your reloading-fu will be strong.

There, I said it again.

Nitesite, I'll warn my wife that she may find me at the bench in some kind of trance. I sometimes get into a trance with my homebrew hobby but it's a different kind of trance.

I got the light mounted over the bench this morning. It's much better.

sounds like the building of a great reloading bench. :) (don't forget pics)

I got the press bolted down last night. I put a little lube on the main shaft/pivot points and then I did the size/deprime on 500 9mm cases. The tool is carbide so I skipped the lube step. Seemed to work great and I got quicker as I went.

The one thing that didn't seem to work right was the spent primer catch. 85% of them fell to the right instead of going through the hole and into the catch basin and tube on the left side. I put a box on the floor and caught most that way. Am I missing something here?

awesome man !....dont know about the primers but I have them all over from not falling where they should

Awesome! I can't wait too see what you turn out!

When purchasing Primers, open the little pack up and make sure they are all there. Our Gander Mtn. has had a huge problem with people stealing primers and their boxes on the shelves being empty when someone goes to buy it.

Back