• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Increasing red light tickets in FL

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
When I mentioned generating revenue from tickets in another thread, the article below was what I had in mind. I'll add that I don't think red light cameras should be legal as a red light law enforcement tool.

TAMPA BAY, Florida -- A subtle, but significant tweak to Florida's rules regarding traffic signals has allowed local cities and counties to shorten yellow light intervals, resulting in millions of dollars in additional red light camera fines.

The 10 News Investigators discovered the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) quietly changed the state's policy on yellow intervals in 2011, reducing the minimum below federal recommendations. The rule change was followed by engineers, both from FDOT and local municipalities, collaborating to shorten the length of yellow lights at key intersections, specifically those with red light cameras (RLCs).

While yellow light times were reduced by mere fractions of a second, research indicates a half-second reduction in the interval can double the number of RLC citations -- and the revenue they create. The 10 News investigation stemmed from a December discovery of a dangerously short yellow light in Hernando County. After the story aired, the county promised to re-time all of its intersections, and the 10 News Investigators promised to dig into yellow light timing all across Tampa Bay.

Red light cameras generated more than $100 million in revenue last year in approximately 70 Florida communities, with 52.5 percent of the revenue going to the state. The rest is divided by cities, counties, and the camera companies. In 2013, the cameras are on pace to generate $120 million.

"Red light cameras are a for-profit business between cities and camera companies and the state," said James Walker, executive director of the nonprofit National Motorists Association. "The (FDOT rule-change) was done, I believe, deliberately in order that more tickets would be given with yellows set deliberately too short."

I'm against ticketing for profit. But I am certainly for using fines as a means to change behaviors at intersections where there are a higher number of serious accidents.

Instead, how about violators face a possible attachment of two or three points onto one's drivers license so the driver's "fine" doesn't go to a state agency but instead their insurance premium goes up for one year...

It might help keep insurance rates down for better drivers and make drivers who don't brake maybe pay more attention in the future.

Nah, that would be way too difficult to manage.

They have that here in CT. Back when I first started driving, you were allowed 11 points I think, then it gets suspended for 6 months.

Don't ask how I know this....cuz I didn't have to look it up that's for sure. :oops:

We have mostly 6 second yellow lights (as I count them) and a couple 3 sec lights. They are crazy fast. If you don't know it is a short light you will blow through a red with no chance of stopping. No cameras, though.

Oh, yeah, then there are the ones I must run (after stopping of course)when I'm on my bike because they do not sense my presence and will not change.

ripjack13 said:
What did they get sued for?
manipulating the system to create the infractions, tickets were actually processed out of state(mesa Arizona to be exact) and mailed to residents here and I'm pretty sure there was an issue with that. then also many inaccurate tickets issued, people stopped at the light getting flashed and ticketed due to another car... on the cities side if things I don't think they were making any money anyways with how often they had a guy in the machine fixing it, how many times they were hit and knocked over by drivers(purposely?) and with how many people would refuse to pay and would contest tickets and win. Like I said, we only had like 3 in the whole area and they didn't last long, obviously an unsuccessful trial run.

Update: http://origin.wtsp.com/news/local/story ... yid=316836

I can't find a link but I recall reading a study that showed the biggest increase to safety at intersections was increasing the time between when a light goes from yellow to red in one direction to going green for the opposing direction. Not the length of the yellow but a gap when the lights are red in ALL directions. If these clowns were truly interested in safety and not revenue, they would be looking into that instead.

Back