• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Inert Ammo

nkeegstra

.22LR
The first accessory every firearms owner should obtain is high quality inert (Dummy) ammo for each caliber of weapon they own. Most accidents are caused when live ammo get discharged in places it should not and people get hurt or killed as a result. Many times, this happens at home when folks are cleaning, practicing or showing off a firearm.

Off the range, especially at the home, designate a 'safe' area where live ammo is NEVER allowed. This should be where you clean or handle the weapon most often. Whenever you clean and re-assemble a weapon, you'll want to function-check it to make sure it feeds, chambers, extracts and ejects. This is where Inert ammo comes in. Its also ideal for practicing loading, unloading and re-loading

I also find that its much more effective to prime the confidence level of new shooters (or master the quirks of a new gun) by becoming familiar and comfortable with the new platform before going to the range. This can only be done safely "Off-Range" by using Inerts. Especially for new shooters, this makes a big difference because they have experienced all the phases of gun handling except for the 'bang' and come to the range ready to shoot without distraction.

Inerts should be clearly marked by color and always stored away from live ammo

So would something like snap caps work as "inert" ammo? What do you recommend?

Been doin some lookin, heres one example in .45 ACP. Not what I expected, though clearly marked by the orange tip. Most I have found looks just like real ammo. Still lookin though!

http://www.stactionpro.com/45-acp-action-trainer-dummy-rounds-p-3.html
a2d9b89314781a9b5557d8511bbbde63.image.251x240.JPG

i understand your thoughts but Im not sure im fully on board

dummy rounds are great for malfunction drills at the range, but full mags and weapon manipulation with trigger press in a "safe" area at home not a big fan.

I dry fire in the house. Never used snap caps or dummy rounds.

No magazine, clear chamber.

Dry firing is one thing, action proving is another. Snap caps will usually work fine. The ST Action Pro dummys are by FAR the best out there, a little pricey but well worth it. Snap Caps are supposed to take the strain off the firing pin when dry firing. Inert ammo allows practice loading, unloading reloading and tests the feeding, extraction and ejection when a gun is cleaned, repaired or re-assembled. Again my push is to use the inerts learn essential skills before going to a range .

No kids here, no dummy load either, an unloaded weapon is useless, should treat every weapon as it was loaded with a live round in the chamber. If I can see the follower, I know there is no ammo in my shotguns, if I can put my finger in the chamber, I know it's not going to shoot. Personally I have no reason for dry fire with my range less than 50 yards from the back door. Before doing any maintenance, two things are met, empty magazine and an empty chamber. After the maintenance, count how much ammo and what kind when they get reloaded. I do keep chambers empty and the guns on safe but if I need one, it's ready to go.

Re: Inert Training Rounds

I just picked some up of the staction pro for my 1911! To me in this case, its more about safe function testing of parts after breakdown and cleaning because it wont cycle the action nor does it provide the feel of the recoil.

We actually have a thread started in the maintenance and safety section, so I'll merge this one into the other and you'll be able to check out some other opinions too!

Train like you fight, fight like you train

Good idea! When I was shooting competitively I used inert rounds at the range to mimic a failure to fire. I'd have someone load the mag and not tell me where the inert round is. Besides the "tap, rack, bang" drill it also shows if your trying to compensate for the weapons recoil. If it goes click and you jerk the weapon down, not good, lol. Not that I've ever done that......

IMHO, using inert rounds at home is fine, BUT, you must follow all safety protocols. When practicing new or difficult drills that take time to learn, I'd rather practice at home at my leisure then at the range taking up a lane that someone else can use.

Train like you fight, fight like you train. I believe this axiom to the point I will run around the house with my weapon, checking angles and swing clearance with my 590, etc.

Some good ideas on the traing drills I hadnt thought of. We dont go to "the range" so much, so it hasnt been an issue, but definitely good points!

FYI,

I just ordered 15 inert rounds by S.T. Action Pro in 12 ga. Ordered from officerstore.com at $0.97 ea.

I bought a 5 PK of A-zoom 9mm dummy rounds, but I got them to use to tweak the Suomi 36 round stick mags I was modifying to work in my open bolt machine gun (and hence why using live ammo was a very bad idea).

But that is all I will ever use them for.

I will not practice with a live or dummy round, I don't like snap caps, and I personally think the chamber should be verified clear the first thing you do when you touch it.

Leave the finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

As for training for malfunctions, it's not much different from just unloading the stupid thing and reloading it.

After you actually shoot the gun enough, that should be plenty of training. And if you can't clear a malfunction every now and then, you don't need to own it to begin with.

Not meaning to step on any toes, but if you get in the habit of confidently squeezing the trigger and not expecting to hear a bang, eventually you'll become complacent and hear a bang.

Save the practice for outside and/or away from the house.

John A. said:
...eventually you'll become complacent and hear a bang.

I think there is some truth to this. Doing something over and over can become routine and habitual. Like dry fire practice. Potentially dangerous.

That said, I still like the inert ammo for function checking after reassembly.

John A. said:
I bought a 5 PK of A-zoom 9mm dummy rounds, but I got them to use to tweak the Suomi 36 round stick mags I was modifying to work in my open bolt machine gun (and hence why using live ammo was a very bad idea).

But that is all I will ever use them for.

I will not practice with a live or dummy round, I don't like snap caps, and I personally think the chamber should be verified clear the first thing you do when you touch it.

Leave the finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
I believe that you are short changing yourself and anyone you are protecting with your firearms by not practicing.

As for training for malfunctions, it's not much different from just unloading the stupid thing and reloading it.
Have you heard of the term muscle memory?
Muscle memory has been used synonymously with motor learning, which is a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems.
There is a very big difference between clearing a malfunction on the range and under the stress of a tactical/HD situation. BTW, this does NOT mean you take safety for granted.

After you actually shoot the gun enough, that should be plenty of training. And if you can't clear a malfunction every now and then, you don't need to own it to begin with.
I disagree for the fact that shooting in and of it's self is not "training". Training has specific goals of improving one's capability, capacity, and performance.

Not meaning to step on any toes, but if you get in the habit of confidently squeezing the trigger and not expecting to hear a bang, eventually you'll become complacent and hear a bang.
No toes stepped on. That's why there is this forum, to share info and debate topics.

I disagree that dry firing creates complacency. Dry firing is an exceptional training tool. As a former competitive pistol shooter, I dry fired everyday and shot live every weekend. I NEVER have had an AD while doing this. This is why I'm buying inert rounds. I WILL NOT train in the house with live ammo. Following safety protocols to the letter is important. It's when your complacent with safety that accidents happen!

Save the practice for outside and/or away from the house.
Obviously these are my personal opinions, and hope I did not "step on your toes" either.

This is a good discussion fellas, lots of good points bein made!

Back