• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Issue loading all shells

I picked up my 590A1 (51663) last two weeks ago. And while I was at the shop I grabbed a box of 00 buck 2 and 3/4 shells. Now for that size the manual says I should be able to load 9+1 in the chamber. I can only get 7+1 in the gun.. I Can see while the shells are loaded (not one in the chamber) that this is plenty of space for the spring to compress some more. I'm not sure what the issue is with it. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Not all shotgun shells are the same length due to different crimp styles. Manufacturer's typically use an 'industry standard' shell length to estimate how many will actually fit in the magazine, but this 'standard' is shorter than most modern shells these days. Hence the difference. In your case, there may also be a dowel in the tube that can be removed.

This is a common problem due to variations in hull sizing. As Gunny mentioned first look to make sure you do not have a limiting dowel installed. Next I would try a different brand of shell. if the same issues exist with multiple brands of rounds I would look at the internals. You may need to trim a bit off of the follower (depending on the design) or shorten the spring a bit to get enough space for that last round. Also check to make sure there are no dents or other obstructions that might cause the follower, spring or round to catch anywhere in the tube. It does not take much of a dent to cause issues with the follower.

There is a bit of trial and error involved.

European shells that use a roll crimp are generally longer. Rio, S&B, Centurion......usually have a roll crimp with a clear overshot card that sits between the roll crimp and the shot

Grabbed a different box of shells tonight and when I got home I put 9 in the tube and one in the chamber. It must have been the European shells being longer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

joshmike1487 said:
It must have been the European shells being longer.

most shells with a star crimp will load full capacity, even Euro....but their roll crimps are tall as hell.

Back