• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Issue pulling the next shell from the magazine

jagskl

Copper BB
I recently purchased the new 510 and I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but this looks like a site where I'll find folks knowledgable about this firearm: Here goes. I have a 500 turkey gun that has been rock-solid for about 8 years and so I didn't think twice about buying another Mossberg pump, for the wife's home defense and stray dog removal tool. The gun (510 in 20g) feels awesome, it's VERY easy to handle (though almost too short for me with the shortest stock configuration, but that is how she likes it) and the lightweight didn't seem to cause any extra recoil, but the recoil pad from the factory is WAY better than my 500 in 12g came with 8 years ago. Anyway, the problem is that about 75% of the time I cannot get the gun to pull the next shell from the magazine. I believe the problem is that the bar that holds the shell in the magazine is not being pushed far enough to the side when the slide is pulled back, most of the time. So my question: Is this a common/known problem and if so, is there an easy fix? If not, I guess my only recourse is to spend $30 or so and mail it in to Mossberg? It isn't worth much as a HD gun when it only functions 1/4 of the time.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Mossberg 510 Mini Reviews...

First of all welcome to Mossberg Owners! Second you are in the right place for sure and we will certainly get to the bottom of your question :mrgreen: . As for your issue; I was wondering what shells have you tried and does it happen with one brand in particular? Or is its any ammo you put in it. Has this issue been this way since you first bought the gun or is this something that developed over time?

thanks for the quick response. I've tried 3 types of winchester and also an old box of remingtons I had laying around, it doesn't seem to make any difference, so I've pretty much ruled out the ammo.
I've owned the gun for about a month and only put about a box of shells through it...if it was acting right it would have been much more shell by now ;)
I saw info on the gun online and thought, "perfect!" and I found it for $269 at Academy Sports and bought the only one they had, it was an "open box" in that it was their display case gun, but the guy at the counter said they'd just got it in the week b4, so it hadn't been handled much (yeah, I got all 3 choke tubes and the butt-stock extension and the like, so I did get the box, but the gun had been looked at a bit.)
It has had this issue since new. All except this issue, it is a sweet gun.

The only reason I asked about the ammo was that I know there was a batch of mossberg 510 mini's that had some issues with double loading and jamming due to a defect but it was only when using smaller size shells. Let me sleep on it and I should have a better answer for you tomorrow.

Feeding problems huh? Might be necessary to cut things into smaller pieces...I'm kidding. I honestly don't know. I'm going to go with the extractor claw. It could be something very simple such as a burr on the inside of the mag tube. With out seeing it I wouldn't know. I would look up a local gunsmith and get him to look at it, most will look at it and give you an idea of what it might be without charging you. The gun would defiantly be worth the $30 S&H charge to get it fixed.

Ultimate CC said:
The only reason I asked about the ammo was that I know there was a batch of mossberg 510 mini's that had some issues with double loading and jamming due to a defect but it was only when using smaller size shells. Let me sleep on it and I should have a better answer for you tomorrow.
Well, all the shells I've tried have been 2 3/4" shells, I didn't have any 3" 20's around.
I will get it fixed one way or the other. I'm open to other ideas, but I suppose at this point, I'll strip it down as far as I'm capable, clean out the grease and check for burrs or a stray piece of metal left over from machining, oil it and retry. If no luck, I'll visit my local FFL (he's a pretty decent self-taught smith, but won't claim to be). Whatever it turns out to be, I'll post back here when I find out.

Yea I have been trying to think of other possibilities but without seeing it is hard to say exactly what is going on. I truly appreciate you keeping us updated and I look forward to hearing about the answer.

Thanks
Dan

When I said extractor claw I just ment it might be too stiff. It might also be an issue of violence of action. When you go to jack a shell out are you using minimal force to work the action? I'm going to assume not, but one never knows. I don't say that to insult you, but I know my 870 takes less force than my friends 590 to cycle shells in and out. I have heard of the 510 having some feeding issues, just didn't hear them described. I'd be inyerested to know what it might be.

thanks for the suggestion. I've tried feathering the action all the way to ramming it (a bit of frustration). My 500 doesn't require any significant force per se, only a quick motion, to keep the shell from falling down instead of up into battery. The only time I had a shell drop was when trying to show someone new to firearms how it loaded a shell.....you can only go so slow with my 500. Good idea though.

My 510 is functioning pretty well now....I have to rack the slide pretty hard, but if I work it hard, it functions pretty well. I did find that the machining behind the bar that holds the shells in the magazine left something to be desired in that there was a "burr" or a piece of metal that was not removed that should have been at the factory. It was not allowing the shell retaining bar (wrong term, but you get the idea) to move sufficiently out of the way to allow a shell to pass when the pump action was moved fully to the rear. I took some pics but they really didn't show it very well. My FFL friend filed it off and it worked much better. I also filed off some roughness from the small face of the retaining bar where it touches the shell casing as it isn't perfect yet...that helped only a very small amount. (there was a small void in the end of the bar and I thought if it were smoother, the shells would slide by easier...it helped, but a small amount) The gun works "in the field" or when you work the pump hard. It still doesn't cycle shells through anything like my 500 does though, like if you are just cycling a couple shells out of the magazine to put back in an ammo box. I thought about seeing if Mossberg would provide me with the small retaining bar, as I kind of wonder if it isn't slightly bent out of shape from using the gun when it had the blockage behind it, but it works most of the time now (95% in the field) and 60% just cycling shells through to clean out the mag, and they probably wouldn't do anything anyway, since I smoothed it a little myself....live and learn I guess. If you buy one, I'd try to get them to let you cycle a few shells through, just ejecting live rounds or dummy rounds, not firing it....Walmart, Dicks, Academy probably won't let you, but any gun shop probably would. Outside of this issue (I'd call it quality control and probably most of them are fun, I just got unlucky), it is a really cool gun. In fact, I'd buy another one, if I didn't have this one already. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for updating us on your situation and glad to hear that you are on your way to having a functional mossberg 510 mini. So how many rounds have you gotten through it thus far? Does it seem to be getting better the more its used?

My 510 20ga has never behaved like that. It did fail to load a shell a couple of times, but I attribute that to my inexperience as a shotgun shooter and my poor technique on the pump. When I focus, it never fails me, and I have full confidence it would work if I ever need it for HD. The obvious response is to first try a different brand of shell, second, have a seasoned shotgunner friend try a few shells, if not that, you gonna have to send it in.

I recently bought my grandson a 510 in 410 and have the same problem. The shells don't feed and I noticed that the slide release doesn't return to the lockup position. Gun is not a week old and I'm curious as to the frequency of this problem?
Thanks
Gabe

You are only the second member to post about this issue with the Mossberg 510 mini. These are the only two incidences that I am aware of this occurring but there could be others out there with the same problem. I would call Mossberg directly and ask them what you are supposed to do about getting this issue resolved. Please keep us updated so that future members can learn from it. If you have trouble getting through to Mossberg let us know and we can try calling as well.

THe problem is most likly the shell latch not activateing properly, like the OP check for burs.

My 500e had a problem shooting a shell out the magizine on occasion, I found that the shell latch was bent a tad.

With mass production it will happen,It is hard to check for at the factory without loading it up and shooting it(so as to be under recoil).

I am sure Mossberg will fix it for free, however I believe you can fix it yourself and save the shipping and time without your SG,

Steve

Tried the Canadian email address for service information but it bounced. I'm simply going to bring it to my local gunsmith on Monday and get him to clean and polish any burrs or rough edges in the action.

Not discouraged with this little gun. It was the answer to instruct my grandson because of it's size and balance. The gun fits him like a glove and I know the fix is easy.

Gabe

JGM you need to email me, maybe we could talk on the phone, I could definatly walk you through what you need to look for.
I would just hate to see you pay for something that will take 15 mins.

Not that putting money into a local gunsmith is a bad thing at all, but if things are as tight around your castle as mine......

Steve

Thanks for the offer Steve but I'm okay. The gunsmith is an old friend of mine and we've worked together on guns for the past 45 years. Today I've got geese, turkeys and deer on my mind. The geese got it this morning, the turkey will get it later this afternoon and the deer will get it on Sunday morning.

thanks again

Gabe

My Mossberg Mini .410 is having the same loading incident. When you pump the gun the shell might fall out instead of being loaded into the chamber. I have tried several different brand and sizes of ammo, and still have the same issue. From previous posts a burr may be the problem, but I have no gunsmithing skills. Any help or do I need to send gun back to Mossberg?

Back