• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

issues with the flex again...help

I don't know what's the deal with my 590, did I possibly get a bad gun???

When shooting today I had that same issue where my round wasnt being releases from the mag tube, so I called Mossberg and they are sending me a new cartridge stop and cartridge interrupter.

Back to my issue today......
Now I took the gun completely apart (with help from water monkeys video) and noticed that the cartridge pickup is what is getting hung up on the frame as it is engaged to load the round.
And upon close inspection it seems to be bent to the left slightly causing the contact to occur. I tried to bend it to the right a little but its impossible to bend given that it is a hinge part in the way it works.
As I cock the forend back causing the cartridge pickup to drop to get a round, that is when it sticks when you try to push forward on the forend to pick up the released round.
Now when I took everything apart I made sure to oil the area good in hope that will fix the issue, but it still gets hung up. I even took some light sand paper to smooth out the areas where it was getting caught on then oiled them again.....
I'm stumped and don't know why or how the cartridge pick up is slightly bent and why it keeps sticking when pumped back even after it is oiled and cleaned.
Any idea what's going on here ???

So the elevator is getting hung up too?

Do me a favor and make sure the action slide rod is going OVER the cartridge stopper and not behind it.

If it is going behind it this may cause interference with the elevator operation.

Water Monkey said:
So the elevator is getting hung up too?

Do me a favor and make sure the action slide rod is going OVER the cartridge stopper and not behind it.

If it is going behind it this may cause interference with the elevator operation.

Yeah its getting hung up only when it the forend is in the back position which drops the cartridge elivator and you try to pump it forward, that's when it sticks.

What exactly am I looking for when the action slide rod is going over it and not behind the cartridge stopper.If that is the case what do i need to do to fix it.

To me it seems to be in the rear of the bolt slide where it meets the cartridge pickup. Doesn't seem to be a smooth motion between the two parts.

I sent you a pm with my phone number. Call me ill see if I can walk you through it.

Water Monkey said:
I sent you a pm with my phone number. Call me ill see if I can walk you through it.

Hey bro, thanks for the help on this.
I was messing more with it and put it back together but I still can't tell if its in front or behind the cartridge pickup that is causing the hangup.
I took some pics so you all could see what I'm dealing with and will post in a bit.
I cycled a few dummy rounds and it seems to b working but still sticking a bit when I pump it back.

Maybe someone else has had a similar experience and can chime in.

here are a few pics of my problem.....

this is the whole cartridge pickup and shell load port (notice the cartridge pickup is off center) bent to the left of the frame.
cartridgepickup_zps516f398e.jpg

closer look of above area
cartridgepickup2_zpsec7590cd.jpg

area where the cartridge pickup is rubbing on the left side of the frame
cartridgepickup3_zps0a0bf1a6.jpg

cartridge pickup from the side shell extractor port uncentered
cartridgepickup4_zps8299cc9a.jpg

anyone have any sugestions as to why the cartridge pick up might be off center and causing it to hang up on the rear pump action?

I think your shell elevator is incorrectly put in. I can see it in your picture (Pic #2). The shell elevator should sit flush inside the receiver. Easy fix man, take it apart again and put it back together and when you do put it back together make sure that the shell elevator lines up with the holes in the receiver.

Check your left side of the receiver, the hole should be filled in with the shell elevators mounting points.

the side of your receiver should look like this, see how everything sits flush.

50411.jpg

If it is flush then your shell elevator is bent.

shellslinger said:
I think your shell elevator is incorrectly put in. I can see it in your picture (Pic #2). The shell elevator should sit flush inside the receiver. Easy fix man, take it apart again and put it back together and when you do put it back together make sure that the shell elevator lines up with the holes in the receiver.

Check your left side of the receiver, the hole should be filled in with the shell elevators mounting points.

the side of your receiver should look like this, see how everything sits flush.

50411.jpg

If it is flush then your shell elevator is bent.

Thanks for the info.
I did take it apart again and the holes for the cartridge elevator are in properly. But same scenario as the pics. I'm thinking my cartridge elevator is bent and causing it to rub on the left side of the frame.
Talked to my armourers at work today and they told me since it was getting hung up and then me forcing the forend forward might have caused the elevator to become bent.
Called Mossberg today and I got a new elevator and cartridge stop and interruptor coming. So hope that solves my issues.....now just waiting for parts to arrive.

Well still waiting on my parts from Mossberg, they did say about 3 weeks so they should be in sometime this week I hope, if not I will have to call again to get status.
Went shooting yesterday and the gun did pretty good, no issues, although it is still sticking a bit on the rear pump action when racking the next round, but I didn't have to force it either.
All I did was take it apart, clean and oil all the parts and put it back together. seems to work pretty good, but still not perfect. Hope the new parts fix my issue and have a trouble free gun.
Thanks again for the help guys and let u know when I get the parts in....

They've been absolutely flooded with orders in the last few weeks and their working overtime trying to get orders out. Won't hurt to call and check in on it though. Keep us posted...

Its been a long wait but I finally got 2/3 of the parts I have been waiting for from Mossberg in yesterday. Got the cartridge stop and cartridge interrupter and just waiting on the cartridge elevator to arrive (hopefully next week) to get the parts replaced and hope it functions better with the new parts in it.
Will post when complete and function tested.....

stigmata said:
Its been a long wait but I finally got 2/3 of the parts I have been waiting for from Mossberg in yesterday. Got the cartridge stop and cartridge interrupter and just waiting on the cartridge elevator to arrive (hopefully next week) to get the parts replaced and hope it functions better with the new parts in it.
Will post when complete and function tested.....

Did you ever get this solved?

My bad guys.....
Sorry to leave you all hanging on this.......i was in the process of retirement from the military and then moved back home to Texas and I guess I forgot about this post. Sorrrrry.....
Thx old mossy for getting me back on track and finishing this.out.

I did finally get all the parts in and replaced the the cartridge stop, interrupter, and elevator. All seems to work a lot better than the initial set up from the factory. Cycles just as she is supposed to now.

Thank you for the update........and congrats on your retirement. :D

Back