• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Japanese Steel

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Can't believe I haven't posted these yet.

This one is Ido style katana with a full tang. The tsuba is emblazoned with dragons and the tsuka ito is done in red cotton over white stingray...

This one is a hand made, clay tempered Shirasaya katana. It has a full tang with a piano lacquered wood tsuka/saya and buffalo horn on the mouth...

Those are awesome LES.

Very nice. :) Looks a lot better than my old WWII new army sword. Was this made using the traditional folded/laminated steels?

Thanks fellas.

Yes Gunny, these are laminated blades, made with the honsanmai method...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks fellas.

Yes Gunny, these are laminated blades, made with the honsanmai method...

You must have paid a good bit for them. That kind of craftsmanship doesn't come cheap. Thanks for sharing. :)

When I was deployed to Iwakuni Japan a couple times I'd spend as much time as I could in the castle/museum across the river, where they have an extensive collection of antique arms and armor. Absolutely stunning examples of ancient fighting and ceremonial swords, etc.

That would have been a sight Gunny.

I came by these through my uncle from his time stationed on Okinawa...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
That would have been a sight Gunny.

I came by these through my uncle from his time stationed on Okinawa...

Ah. Well your Uncle has good taste and knows his steel. There's a lot of cheap tourist swords that are sold over there.

Btw, here's the website for the castle. There's a cable car from the park along the river, but it's still a 1/4 mile hike up a trail at the top. Or there was anyway, don't know about now. Been over 30 years since I last was there. If you ever get a chance to travel over there, it's well worth a couple days.

http://www.jcastle.info/castle/profile/ ... uni-Castle

and a amateur video tour.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6kg_ELSSio[/youtube]

Back