• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Knife/blade sharpeners

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
A knife is only good as long as it is sharp.

As most men know, when a knife loses it's edge, there are few things more frustrating than trying to use it.

It is why our ancestors created cutting tools in the first place because cutting steak with a stick just takes too much time and dang effort so if you're going to keep knives and blades around, it's a good idea to have a good knife sharpener around to keep them sharp.

I recently bought a Smiths' brand knife sharpener and it is now on my top 25 list of things every man should have.

Here's what I've been using...the included guides give you a repeatable edge at the correct angle each time.

I also own hand held sharpening rods and wet stones...but this system is easy and puts on a nice edge... and the grinder by itself has a 101 uses.

=========================

Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpening System

What's in the Box :

(1) Original Knife & Tool Sharpener (WSKTS)
(1) 40° Kitchen Knife Guide (SA0002513)
(1) 50° Outdoor Knife Guide (SA0002515)
(3) P80 Coarse Abrasive Belts (PP0002454)
(3) P220 Medium Abrasive Belts (PP0002515)
(3) 6000 Extra-Fine Abrasive Belts (PP0002409)
(1) Retractable Honing Rod (WSSA0002792)
(1) Storage Bag (PP0002759)
(1) Instructional DVD
(1) User's Guide

I'm still using the old fashioned Arkansas stones with some light oil and I finish up with ceramic sticks. I might give that Smith's sharpener a try tho.

as some one that sharpens things as a side job, i can say a worksharp is great for fixing broken tips and major edge damage (i free hand blend them back together) but my go to is DMT solid plates in course, fine and extra fine, and a leather strop with DMT diamond 1 micron paste, with my diamond plates i can make a knife shave right from the course stone, by the time i am done you can see your reflection and shave like no tomorrow. free handing is an art form and takes practice, your best friend is a sharpie and time.

...and good eyesight at close range.

I use an oilstone, but my diamond hone is toast. I need a new one.

What to buy?

Back