• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Light options for an 8-shot

Hey Guys,

I've got a 20 inch 8-shot mossy 500 12 ga. I'm curious as to what others have used for light mounting on theirs. I've done some searching around on amazon and several different firearms accessory suppliers, and I really haven't been able to find much. I don't want to change out the stock for-end. I'm really just looking for a rail assembly that will attach to the magazine tube. I'm not sure if I want to mount a TLR-1 (or similar) light, or something that will have a pressure switch attached. If you've got pics of your particular set up, go ahead and post them up! TIA.

Last edited:
Please accept this as just my opinion.

Pressure switches are not what I would choose. Pump guns and wires are not exactly the optimum combination.

The TLR-1 light is marvelous as a shotgun WML.

May I suggest checking out what Rossignol has already posted about this topic. He really knows his stuff.

I have the setup shown below on three Mossberg 500's with seven shot magazines, including one that's pistol grip only. The mount is made by Streamlight and is around $16 from Amazon (who also has good prices on the TLR-1). I really like the mount, it's plastic so it doesn't tear up the finish on the mag tube but it holds tight with three allen screws. I have at least 250 rounds combined through these guns with the mounts & lights installed and have had no breakage, looseness or movement.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Note that the scuffs in the finish on the barrel are from removing the heat shield, not from the light or mount. I highly recommend this set up, it's simple, it's relatively inexpensive and it works.

Last edited:
I really like the CDM Gear and since using his stuff, I've had no need to look elsewhere. I have an older style MT Clamp and its replacement, the MTR. The MT has been on my 20" 500 for years and I use the MTR on my 835. The clamps include a short rail which is perfect for the TLR from Streamlight, like what's pictured above. In my case, I use an aftermarket mount and light with a momentary on tail cap switch. I mount it as far forward as I can and still be able to hit the tail cap switch with my thumb when the action is in battery. This puts the bezel of the light just back from the muzzle and casts very little shadow.

A bonus feature for me in the MTR is that it also has a limited rotation cup for a QD push button sling swivel and a slot on the bottom for a more traditional sling mount.

CDM also has clamps with built in mounts that don't require the use of a rail or aftermarket mount of any kind and are ready to mount up a light with a 30mm tube or include a spacer for 1" tubes but I'd ask Scott of CDM about that to be sure.

You can contact Scott with any questions, he's easy to get a hold of and responds quickly. Tell him we sent you if you do decide to take a look.

Great info and ideas so far, guys. Thank you much. I'm really liking swsabre's set up and I might go that route.

swsabre, Could you post a Amazon link to the mount you have? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back