• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

limbsaver recoil pad help!!

To start off I love the limbsaver recoil pads, got one on my 590 tact.

But now I'm needing one for the wifes 500 20 gauge wood buttstock.
Lookin for a precission fit, not slip-on.

I looked on the limbsaver website, but only found one for a synthetic stock and didn't specify 12 or 20 gauge.
I know a 12g stock will fit a 20g with a little overhang, but is the recoil pad the same for either size or dose it have to be for the specific model and material type (wood/synthetic).

Any info on the subj or part numbers that may work will help.

I bought a Limbsaver for my 12g that ended up not fitting because I ordered the wrong part #. I couldn't return it because I'd thrown away the original packaging and had slightly "modified" it.

Here's a link to my thread: http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7170

If you read my thread there was obviously some confusion. I've since installed an Akita adjustable stock (pics forthcoming) and if it turns out the Limbsaver I have will fit your wife's 20g, I'll let you have it for a fraction of what I paid.

Kadelic said:
I bought a Limbsaver for my 12g that ended up not fitting because I ordered the wrong part #. I couldn't return it because I'd thrown away the original packaging and had slightly "modified" it.

Here's a link to my thread: http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7170

If you read my thread there was obviously some confusion. I've since installed an Akita adjustable stock (pics forthcoming) and if it turns out the Limbsaver I have will fit your wife's 20g, I'll let you have it for a fraction of what I paid.

May take you up on your offer..... What do you mean by "slightly modified"???
Have to get some measurements first off to make sure it will fit on it first.
Fixing to retire from the military and I'm in class all week so hope to get some time in between and I'll let u know.

stigmata said:

There's a raised rib of material on the side that mounts to the stock. I had to file some of it down to get it to sit flush with my stock. It shouldn't effect how it works once it screws on. I'll post a picture when I get home from work this morning.

Kadelic said:
I've since installed an Akita adjustable stock (pics forthcoming)

Hows the Akita stock treating you? It was one of the options i had in mind since i didnt want to deal with the pistol grip stocks. I went with the compstock/houge stock and am very happy with its performance. My brother looked mad when i told him my compstock felt better than his spec ops lol

ZombieHunterD said:
Hows the Akita stock treating you?

I haven't been to the range with it yet. Because of its adjustability it feels more comfortable sighting down the barrel than with the standard synthetic stock my 500 came with. I have it set at the third (out of four) setting out. It's about a 14" LOP where I have it. At appx 12", the Mossberg stock felt a bit cramped as I'm 6'4" and have long arms. I have the adjustable cheek rest raised up one notch and I get a much better cheek weld.

The Scorpion recoil pad is about as thick as the Limbsaver I had on it but its not as cushiony feeling. I never did fire the 500 with the butt pad that it came with and I was really happy with how the Limbsaver worked. I just hope the Scorpion works as good! Hopefully I'll be able to test it this weekend.

I have fired over 80 slugs with the Akita, while using proper push-pull technique, and my shoulder is never sore. You should be very pleased.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Kadelic said:
stigmata said:

There's a raised rib of material on the side that mounts to the stock. I had to file some of it down to get it to sit flush with my stock. It shouldn't effect how it works once it screws on. I'll post a picture when I get home from work this morning.

Here are some pictures of where I filed off some material. I wasn't as careful as I should have been and got into the mating surface a little.

I don't have the original packaging but I still have the adapter plate and screw it came with for attaching it to a wooden stock. I paid $44 (with shipping) for it from MidwayUSA. I'll sell it for $20 shipped if that sounds fair.

EDIT: I'd also like to reiterate some info from my Limbsaver thread. I mistakenly ordered the model for the 5 3/16" stock when I needed one for a 4 7/8" stock. Please make sure which stock you have and compare you existing butt pad to the template on the Limbsaver site. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did!

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

Thx kadelic for the info. Dosent look too bad. Will get back to you this weekend on it, just been caught up in this class all week.

Well after doing some MORE research and measuring I found out my buttstock pad is 4 7/8" x 1 3/4" and I would need limbsaver p/n 10121. So if anyone else is looking for a limbsaver for their SG that's the part number you need providing its a 4 7/8" length. :cool:

Back