• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Live Centerfire Weapons Painted to Look Like Toys

And people wonder why LEO's, and others, treat every gun appearing as a toy as the real deal, because it could be, and this guy proves it.

Really? You do not know me at all yet you do exactly what you accuse me of? My impression of the asshat with the blue and orange AK-47 was not set on the color choices, but his response to me asking if the weapon was an airsoft rifle. His response to was to load a magazine and fire three rounds at the backstop from behind the firing line. This is not the response from a rational person. The decision to remove him from the range was caused by his verbal and physical responses, not the color of his real "toy" gun. Yes, it is not illegal to paint a real gun to look like a Nerf gun or to walk around in Texas with a rifle slung across your chest like a douche, but does it mean you should?

Didn't see this info in the post did I miss it saw he fired three shots but not the rest

From what I can deduce by the OP's recount, the guy definitely doesn't seem like an expert with firearms. I agree with other folks that it's his right to paint his gun how he wants. I've painted my fair share of guns, to me it was camouflage, to others it may have looked like a toy. Is a blue painted AK any worse than a gold plated one? They both sound ridiculous to me, but to each his own.

Where I take offense is with his actions after being questioned about his gun... Popping off three rounds just to say "F U... It's real alright" was irresponsible and childish... Neither trait should go along with someone handling guns.

It's all in his right to have a blue AK, but I probably would've reacted similarly if I were in the OP's situation.

From what I can deduce by the OP's recount, the guy definitely doesn't seem like an expert with firearms. I agree with other folks that it's his right to paint his gun how he wants. I've painted my fair share of guns, to me it was camouflage, to others it may have looked like a toy. Is a blue painted AK any worse than a gold plated one? They both sound ridiculous to me, but to each his own.

Where I take offense is with his actions after being questioned about his gun... Popping off three rounds just to say "F U... It's real alright" was irresponsible and childish... Neither trait should go along with someone handling guns.

It's all in his right to have a blue AK, but I probably would've reacted similarly if I were in the OP's situation.

How much offence would you take if I asked you if your gun with its light laser site folding stock and so on was a toy it's about perception I understand we're mike is coming from having been there he is the only one of us that can make that call perhaps the guy was thinking he was about to be made fun of for his weapon but I can agree childish and uncalled for

A lot of emotions shining thru this thread about a blue gun with an orange muzzlebrake. A clearer picture of the events vs the color of the weapon may have made for a better discussion. I have no problems one way or the other on the color issue. If my wife wants a pink one so be it. If his actions were detrimental to the safe operation of the "private" range then he deserved to be asked to leave. Was he a guest of someone who was there, or was he a member?

Sorry missed at first where you said he was behind the firing line that's just offside someone willing to do something like that is see where you might be wondering what else he might do

A lot of emotions shining thru this thread about a blue gun with an orange muzzlebrake. A clearer picture of the events vs the color of the weapon may have made for a better discussion.

I think this topic has run it's course.....let's all let it go now.....I'd hate to lock this.

Really? You do not know me at all yet you do exactly what you accuse me of?

yes somewhat, but not exactly of what I am accusing you of, your story is full of holes. You are nosey and judgmental. I am judgmental and critical but I mind my own business. I am criticizing your story. He was looking for attention, you gave it to him, mission accomplished

My impression of the asshat with the blue and orange AK-47 was not set on the color choices, but his response to me asking if the weapon was an airsoft rifle. His response to was to load a magazine and fire three rounds at the backstop from behind the firing line.
now its not about the color but about the reaction he gave you, that might have been a useful tid bit when you stared this whine fest.
You entered the game and got in the mud with him. You weren't happy with the response you got, so what, who are you the air soft police ?
He may have not acted appropriately, you tattled and saved the world from this criminal.
If he was truly unstable and irrational he may have used you as the back stop but he did not. He shot down range and no one got hurt. His interaction with you might have been enough to throw him over the line to mass murder.....ever think you might have approached the situation wrong ?
What if it was a camo paint job, would you be all hurt that he painted his weapon to look like a stick......"hey that's not cool, I thought that was a stick"

The decision to remove him from the range was caused by his verbal and physical responses, not the color of his real "toy" gun. Yes, it is not illegal to paint a real gun to look like a Nerf gun or to walk around in Texas with a rifle slung across your chest like a douche, but does it mean you should?
there are a ton of things one shouldn't do and a ton of things we cant do that we should. Bottom line is that there is no law against it, but yet here we are squabbling over opinions. As long as you aren't doing it then you have done all you can to contribute to the well being of the world. Let the appropriate powers to be do their job and harass a guy about the color of his AK47.....if he was giving you attitude and that is the true point behind your story then you should have gave him something to remember and left it at that, IMO. You got a little justification here, but not from everyone.....cant win them all when it comes to feeling justified, sorry I don't agree with you, its not personal

I was at the range today and a young man (20's) opened a case and took out an AK-47. No magazines were in sight. The weapon was painted blue with an orange muzzle brake. I asked him if it was an airsoft toy. He immediately took a magazine from his thigh pocket, inserted into the rifle and three 7.62x39 rounds into the backstop. I asked why he would paint his AK to look like a toy, he responded that he did so "because I wanted to"... Am I wrong in thinking that painting a weapon to intentionally look like a toy is irresponsible?
Agreed that takes a total idiot and must have been raised as a spoiled little brat.

And people wonder why LEO's, and others, treat every gun appearing as a toy as the real deal, because it could be, and this guy proves it.

And plenty of robberies are committed with BB and airsoft guns that to the unfamiliar, certainly "look" like a real gun. And plenty of thugs are shot dead using fake guns to commit robberies, as they should be! Point a gun, ANY gun at a LEO or carry permit holder and expect defensive actions to be taken (ie: a REAL gun pointed back at you and fired).

To each his/her own regarding "decorating" your gun. Many prefer the "classic" blued steel and wood, some don't mind black aluminum and plastic, some prefer woody or desert camouflage, but some may want something unique and colorful. (search "hello kitty gun") Attached are pics of in stock available 80% lowers from my anodizer. I could also have him run a batch in red or gold if I wanted to pay for them. He also has black and bronze available. While bringing a "toy" gun to a range might alarm or irritate some, I don't think it should be an issue. My main concern would be lack of range protocol and/or etiquette. :eek:

I also don't see a problem for open carry. Within limits... I agree that bringing a rifle into a retail store "just because you can" is a bit much and does NOT help the cause. But a pistol on your hip should not cause ANY alarm. I prefer keeping my defensive capabilities under cover... Unless I have a gold-plated Desert Eagle on my hip! ;)

Attachments

• 5-Purple.jpg
    5-Purple.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7
  • blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 6-Pink.jpg
    6-Pink.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
Bottom line is the dude had a jerk @ff attitude but you fed into the attention he was looking for.... I'm with Oli that if he, she, me or you wants to paint their firearm to look like a 3 ring circus then that is their God given right to do so, or the dudes we have all seen wearing swat / camo gear to the range .... as weird as it may look especially since most are not in the service or a LEO, that is their right as well.... just sayin

It's his gun, so he can paint it dayglo pink, blue, & green with daisy's on it , I might look at it , cringe internally, & think WTF is THAT, but its HIS gun, I'd be more concerned about his safety procedures then the paint job... As for myself, I like mine subdued... But that's me... That's it that's all...

Having a son who likes toy guns, I think painting real guns to look like toys is a stupid idea. I like custom paint jobs and Star Wars like stuff, but toys is just stupid. I have an airsoft SKS rifle that broke (spring assembly) and I painted it to look like my SKS, BUT I put a big orange tip on the end the muzzle. I also told my son it's ok to play with his toy gun around here with his friends only. Never point it at anyone in the neighborhod, never threaten anyone with it, and if a police officer comes by, without even being spoken to, drop it. It's natural to want to emulate your old man. I remember having an old lever action cap gun in the 80s that looked like my dad's Winchester 94. Back when I was a kid, our toy guns and water guns looked real. With guys painting real guns to look like toys, and a guy taking a realistic airsoft gun into a movie theater, this is just what has liberals licking their chops to ban more stuff for kids.

When I was growing up, even toy guns looked "real". There was little distinction between "real" and "toy".

Other than the fact I knew better than to point it at anyone unless it was one of my buddy's while we were playing.

I never heard about a kid getting shot because someone mistook it for a "real" gun.

Never.

Then again, by the time I was a teenager, we were hunting with "real" guns, and were mature enough to do so with no parental supervision.

Back