• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Live Centerfire Weapons Painted to Look Like Toys

If he takes his cased weapon from his home to the range, uncases and uses it safely, then cases it up and takes it home, what possible harm will come from it?

We stand in disagreement. Anyone who camoflages a real weapon as a toy is a danger to be paid attention to.

I kinda agree with MikeT on this.

The best case scenario is that this guy never does something stupid and gets him or someone else killed.

On the other end of the spectrum is a stupid mistake on one or both parties that ends up in tragedy.

Sent from my metacarpals to your ocular receptors

the question can be answered. I'm not asking what he is going to do, I am asking what you predict he is going to do.
I think that is a question that can never be answered. believe me, I hope I'm wrong in all this.

I kinda agree with MikeT on this.

The best case scenario is that this guy never does something stupid and gets him or someone else killed.

On the other end of the spectrum is a stupid mistake on one or both parties that ends up in tragedy.

well the sun might blow up tomorrow, if that happens we are all going to die. If it doesn't we will get a tan ........kinda pointless isn't it ?

Not really.

The upside here is that the guy is at least decent with paint.

The downside is that he is irresponsible and possibly up to no good.

The sun might blow up tomorrow, it might not. Unless you have the USS Enterprise parked in your garage, neither of us can do anything about it.

I would prefer that the line between real and toy weapons not get blurred like that. All it does is add risk with no reward.

"possibly" being the key word of your post.
If we start basing everything on what someone might possibly do then what do you have.....guilty before proven innocent.
Not only is this a firearms forum but it is an American firearms forum....tread careful because it is supposed to be innocent before proven guilty, incase you have forgotten the process

I'm in agreement with oli & sniper....it's his. So let him do what he chooses.

But the minute he does go postal, which I hope not, may he die a slow and agonizing death, that way he has plenty of time to reflect upon his assinine decision.....

how many killings, high or low profile, have been performed with a weapon painted like a toy ?

anyone ?

I don't like hypothetical questions, answer or scenarios.

If no wrong has been done, no laws has been broken, no one harmed...

Can you enlighten me about the dreaded outcome of what you saw this guy do ?

l can not predict the future. I go by observation and experience. A person who paints a live weapon to look like a toy raises a question in my head as to their motivation. My family is mostly LE. I did not go into that field as I disagreed with certain aspects of the perceived LEO mindset taught in the academy's. I am now seeing why some (If not most)LEO's have little to no trust of the average persons they interact with. They way this asshat reacted when I asked if the weapon was an airsoft gun caused me concern and they he acted after he was asked to leave the private range he was visiting confirmed to me he was looking for some form of attention. Something tells me this AH will make it into the news one day. Hopefully for a good reason, although I have my doubts.

Oh FFS, I'm just saying it isn't a good idea.

Yeah, I can read. I know you think it’s a bad idea…..I am simply asking what it's based on.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to judge people you don’t know, sounds like you think he needed an ass beating for it…little drastic for someone who has done nothing wrong…
And its phalanges, not metacarpals …..Unless you can type with the middle of your hand, it was almost clever

l can not predict the future. I go by observation and experience. A person who paints a live weapon to look like a toy raises a question in my head as to their motivation.

To me it sounds like he accomplished exactly what he set out to do, make uptight , nosey , judgmental people complain on the interweb....hook, line and sinker

I have to side with oil on this one it's your gun use it right and there is no problem. But let's not forget it is primal instinct to see all threats and steer clear or attack yep the fight or flight response essentially is what all gun owner have been fighting all are lives it looks scary I don't have one do you know what he might do with that call me crazy but if I had an evil plan I don't think I would draw attention to myself by taking my brightly painted weapon to a range where they have my name and most likely my address on file

I'm in agreement with oli & sniper....it's his. So let him do what he chooses.

But the minute he does go postal, which I hope not, may he die a slow and agonizing death, that way he has plenty of time to reflect upon his assinine decision.....

I'm sure all gun owners would see to it rip

Though I can agree that painting the weapon to look like a toy might not be the smartest thing to do, I don't see where it becomes a major problem.

Coming from a side of the fence where we have gun restrictions up the wazoo, I don't favour penalizing someone for their chosen colour scheme. The road to gun control and heavy restrictions with their associated legal consequences is a very slippery slope.

The freedom of ownership and use of firearms that you, my southern brothers enjoy is precious. The guy in this case might be an @$$hat as said earlier or he may be a complete douche, but he represents the freedom that you have. It's not just freedom for those with common sense, it's freedom for all. Freedom always comes with inherent risks and usually enough rope for those idiots who choose to do so...to hang themselves. Just my 2 cents...........

Yeah, I can read. I know you think it’s a bad idea…..I am simply asking what it's based on.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to judge people you don’t know, sounds like you think he needed an ass beating for it…little drastic for someone who has done nothing wrong…
And its phalanges, not metacarpals …..Unless you can type with the middle of your hand, it was almost clever

To me it sounds like he accomplished exactly what he set out to do, make uptight , nosey , judgmental people complain on the interweb....hook, line and sinker

Really? You do not know me at all yet you do exactly what you accuse me of? My impression of the asshat with the blue and orange AK-47 was not set on the color choices, but his response to me asking if the weapon was an airsoft rifle. His response to was to load a magazine and fire three rounds at the backstop from behind the firing line. This is not the response from a rational person. The decision to remove him from the range was caused by his verbal and physical responses, not the color of his real "toy" gun. Yes, it is not illegal to paint a real gun to look like a Nerf gun or to walk around in Texas with a rifle slung across your chest like a douche, but does it mean you should?

Back