• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Live out in the country?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I do. If you do, you're part of The 15% that lives on 72% of the US land area.
icon_mrgreen.gif
. Everybody else lives in a metro gerbil cage.

This decline in rural population and increase in urban population will have some serious consequences in a few years.

Although the aggregate numbers seem small, the loss is disproportionate. Only 15 per cent of Americans live in rural and non-metropolitan areas, even though this land accounts for roughly 72 per cent of the total area.

More than 1,200 non-metropolitan areas have lost a total of 400,000 people since 2010, a fall partially offset by gains of around 300,000 in 700 other counties.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/9ff30d5c-be...erforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=201327

The gubment wants to herd us into controllable population centers. We're just helping them do it...

Just move to downtown Detroit, there's none else living there any more. :-D

I'd love to move out of the city, I just can't find a way to make it happen. Being upside down in my house and the fact that almost every other expense I have has doubled or more in the last 6 years has really limited what I can do.

No thanks.

You would not want me to live in a big city.

Nope. No sir.

But I do see your point gunny. The city is a whole different world from what I'm used to, and one that I do not care to be in.

And besides, all of these people in these cities, are quickly losing touch on how to survive and are too dependent on their infrastructure. Take that away, and they're helpless.

Just move to downtown Detroit, there's none else living there any more. :-D

I'd love to move out of the city, I just can't find a way to make it happen. Being upside down in my house and the fact that almost every other expense I have has doubled or more in the last 6 years has really limited what I can do.

Back around 1999, I also began to feel trapped in the big city (well suburb actually). Had a good well paying job, etc. So, we took a hard look at the life we were living, the growing traffic, crime, etc. . So, we got out. We left at the height of the housing bubble in early 2000, so did alright on selling the house. But, the key was evaluating our priorities, knowing full well that we would leave behind nearly all of the conveniences of the city, including access to top rate medical care, etc. We packed up everything in a U-Haul and started over in MS. And I do mean started over.

Here's what we began with.

houselotpriortoconstruction2.jpg~original

And here's what we have now:

Cupola.jpg~original

I've never lived in a city.

Stayed in one for a while, but not what you would call "living there".

It's not for me.

Give me wide open spaces with plenty of elbow room, and air to breathe and I'm good.

I have lived in the concrete jungle for a couple of years and never saw the stars at night while living there either. I thank my blessings often that I'm back out in the country! I don't even go to the big city anymore it's too damn dangerous,especially in Maryland/Baltimore where only cops and criminals have the guns. Phipp

Guess you could say I live in the rural. Only have 6 acres of my own, but surrounded by farm land, hog farms a half mile either direction, town is a 10 minute drive. Unless you count the little villages. Which have a gas station, a dollar General, 2 bars and a beer store between the both of them. Have 2 major interstates. 10 minutes north and south. But I have my tractors, chickens, ducks, and a goat. My lady keeps her horses 4 miles away at her parents. So, you be the judge.

Our place is about 3 acres but we have access to another 7 acres connected to it and about a 150 yards to safety shoot firearms ..We have some deer,turkey,squirrel etc to hunt..I'm within a few miles to jump on the interstate either direction(west/east)..Nearest city is 25 minutes in either direction( my work commute) .

That being said I are simple working class income type fella,with a stay at home wife an 3 crazy kids..We would rather live in a 15 year old 16x80 trailer versus a townhouse on main-street..

I do both

Grew up and still own 70 acres of timber in the Cascades, bought a house in a neighborhood that's 21 miles/18 minutes from my 70 acres. Although this county holds the biggest town in Southern Oregon it has a density of 65 people per square mile....the state is 40 people per square mile, a lot of the state is inhabitable .....as far as building a structure

I grew up on the west edge of a city of about 75,000. I could be in cornfields or downtown in 20 minutes depending which way I steered my bike. Seemed ideal as a kid. Since I grew up there I liked a lot about living in the city. I also spent a lot of time at my cousin's house in the sticks. We could head out into the woods with their black lab in the morning and hike back home at 5:00 and never see anyone. Where I chose to settle and raise my kids is 15 miles from town. It's rural but definitely not sparsely populated as some of you guys and we have really great neighbors. This end of the county is where the live and let live folks are. We have no laws about unregistered cars, not having a boat in the driveway, I can burn brush and nobody says a peep etc. I'd love to move away but I can't imagine being more than a 20 minute drive away from my aging parents or MIL, all in their mid 70's and starting to need some help.

Oli, I never had a drive to visit OR until I started posting on here with you. It's high on my list with Idaho and Montana now.

I'll give you the off the grid tour and a free place to stay as long as you want

Oh man that sounds awesome. I like the sound of an off the grid tour...way better than some tourist crap. I hope I can take you up on that sometime.

Are they really trying to corral us into dense population centers?

With the EPA, BLM and other agencies all getting into the land-grab business it may not be far off...

City living sucks! I live on an island with one main road on and off & won't change it for much.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, they are. And have been for years.
I agree Gunny. They have no time and only disdain for the rural folks that they can't win over with the propaganda machine. The more people they can force in cities the bigger their voting block and ease of control of those sheep.

I agree Gunny. They have no time and only disdain for the rural folks that they can't win over with the propaganda machine. The more people they can force in cities the bigger their voting block and ease of control of those sheep.

Have you looked up any of the references mentioned in the video? Makes for some very spooky reading.

Here's one: Convention on Biological Diversity (sounds warm and fuzzy, right ?) http://www.cbd.int/ . Note that although the US did not sign up to this treaty, the EPA is busily implementing what it talks about. If you search the EPA site, you'll find many references to it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, didn't y'all hear? You guys are selfishly hogging all that primo real estate. There are rich guys around the country who can't pad their pockets more building shit housing because you rural folk won't share your rightfully owned property. Damned selfish...

Yeah, sorry. The sarcasm is coming out again.

Back