• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking down the barrel with a tactical stock

JayC

.270 WIN
A couple weeks ago my brother got the same Mossberg 500 package from Dunhams Sports that I got last year (28" field barrel & 24" rifled/scoped barrel). Yesterday he got the ATI tactical stock from Dunhams. I thought I had wanted one until I tried his. Maybe it's just me, and that's why I post this, but I couldn't look down the barrel like I could with the normal stock. I couldn't get a cheek weld good enough to line up the beads straight down the barrel. The stock just put my head too high. It felt really good with the 24" rifled/scoped barrel, though. Is this how tactical stocks are, or was it just me? After trying that stock I'm now re-evaluating my own desire to get one. I'm glad I could try it first.

That kit comes with a drop spacer to angle the stock lower if you prefer. If the kit doesn't come with the drop spacer, they are available separately from ATI.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/maverick-ac ... pacer.html

Most users of a "tactical" stocks use some type of optics or sights like ghost rings which require a higher cheek weld than for just sighting down the barrel.

The drop spacer serves 2 purposes....
1...Lowers the stock to help with positioning for using the bead sights
2...Reduces felt recoil as the gun will rise more and not push straight back into the shooters shoulder.

I use the drop adapter on mine and I also have a red/green dot mounted on the receiver. I also use the adjustable cheek riser on the stock so I can adjust the height of the cheek weld to my liking.

Good info Gooffeyguy!

I run a micro red dot on my 590 with the Blackhawk SpecOps stock. If I take it off, sighting with the bead is a bit difficult without a drop spacer. This issue is what causes a lot of the "cheek slap" we hear so much about since folks have to awkwardly press their cheek bone against the stock to sight down the bead...

Thanks for the replies! I'll see if he wants to throw the spacer on to see what it's like. It did come with one. That must be what the 500 came with, too. It came with a ring that looks a lot like the one the ATI stock came with. I wondered what it was. I figured it had to be some sort of spacer. The spacer also makes a great cat toy. :mrgreen:

IMHO the spacer is a must. Especially with a plain ol bead like what I use on mine. I'm not a fan of red dots or ghost rings but without the spacer its tough for me to use the bead properly.

Also, its a bit different looking down a vent ribbed 28 inch barrel vs a shorter 18.5/20 incher. Even the heatshield makes acquiring the bead slightly more challenging at least for me. Try yours with the spacer for sure. When you have a shorter 18.5/20 inch barrel on there and the spacer I think you will find it works really well. YMMV as usual.

Picture047_zpsafcc88cf.jpg

Great looking shotgun you have! I did try the spacer today, and it made a world of difference. It was so much nicer to look down the barrel at the beads. I'm seriously thinking about getting that stock. I just can't make up my mind because I like the normal one, too. :geek:

Back