• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Looking for 9mm load data, 147 jhp @ 1100+ fps?!

mingaa

Raconteur
Like the subject says - I'm working up some fast pistol loads and the one that I come up short on is 9mm 147 jhp. My goal is 1100 + fps (say Hornady XTP or comparable for now).

The best that I am finding is Longshot and Bluedot but both JUST get to the 1000 fps mark. Until now I have largely used 9mm 147 for minor power factor competition loads. I've decided to have (at least proven data) SD loads for all popular weight bullets in my pistol calibers.

Side note - I have 9mm pistol barrel lengths ranging from 3 - 5.3" - much data is based on 4" - I'll chrono across the group.

147 gr are typically used and reserved for subsonic loads.

With that said, you may find some +p loads for the heavy bullets. though I'm not sure if you'll reach your magic 1100 FPS even if you used 16 inch barrels.

Maybe.

While I have a few 9mm pistol barrels ranging from 4-5 inches, I also have carbines ranging from 5.5-8.0 inches.

And they keep standard 147 gr quiet.

If you're wanting something heavier than 115's, NATO typically stocks 124 gr that would probably have no problem with 1100+ fps.

Thanks John. 124s have no problem with 1200+ (1300, been there) and Longshot will push 40 S&W 180 to 1150 - - 147 at 1100 seemed do-able but if the work has not been done due to use of the round or the alchemy of powder & pressure I'm probably not going to be the guy to push that edge.

I have an arbitrary ft lbs that I was looking for in each caliber. 9 is/was 400 - 40 S&W is 500. The 147 was the missing piece to that personal puzzle.

I have some range reports and expansion tests that I'll post pics from - 223 rounds as well.

Thanks!

Underwood makes a +p+ in 147 that the say gets 1175....I'll dig around when I get next to the data books

Excellent - been looking but don't have as many manuals as some - covered manufacturers websites...

Alliant Powder Data says:
147 Gr Speer Gold Dot
Min OAL 1.13”
CCI 500 Primer
5.8 grains Blue Dot
1001 FPS out of a 4 inch barrel

Yeah - I have Longshot and Blue Dot both just making 1000 but I see Buffalo Bore, Nderwood and Double Tap all with much hotter 147 loads so I thought I'd put it on the table.

I'm still taking each round and refinining it for accuracy but that was my
'dream' starting spot.

I have 9mm pistols that vary from 3" to 5.3".

Got my next step figured out! Vihtavuori N105 and 3N38 will both do it 3N38 will go as high as 1207 fps in a 4" barrel!

It's a premium powder but at 1100 rounds per pound the cost is a non-issue. More when I get some powder. I've used 350 successfully in the past - one dealer in the region handles it, maybe with patience I can avoid hazmat if he'll include it in his next shipment. I buy new powders 1 pound at a time.

mingaa~

I have just the thing for you. I load 147-gr XTPs over 7.0-gr of Accurate #7 and WSP primers and my chrono showed 1150-fps with no overpressure signs. I shot them thru a stock GLOCK34. I didn't shoot just a few. I've shot a lot of 'em. It's a regular load of mine.

Several guys on Glocktalk were interested in the load (gwalchmai for one) and he replicated it with ease.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpos ... stcount=36

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpos ... stcount=37

FWIW, 7.0 grains of #7 and a 147-gr XTP at 1.100" is just 0.3-grains over MAX from the Hornady Manual and it is UNDER the MAX in Lyman #42 for #7 and a Speer 147-TMJ which they MAX at 7.2-grains.

And this load from my GLOCK34 has absolutely zero flash signature in the dark, proven by time exposure photography. It's a helluva load. Easily gets 1150. Pictures of the flash signature in the glocktalk post #36 link.

Excellent. I have #7 on the shelf and will most likely be able to test that before I get my hands on the Vihtavuori - or I'll run them in the same session. I'll be curious to see how each does with the different barrel lengths. I'll post up when I have info including expansion and accuracy.

#7 is MUCH easier to get locally. Can't wait to dig into this!

Good dig oli!! I read through the thread wondering what brought it back to life!

For a while I was really stuck on 147gr 9mm bullets. I shot them in competition and for consistency I wanted to load them as the hot jhp rounds that I lay down for, erm, who knows what.

The last ammo crunch took most 147s off the market - I saw it coming and transitioned to 124s. They shot well in competition and SD bullets available SO I developed those rounds.

I wanted to like Blue Dot but the top loads were compressed and the chrono showed them as spikey. I've used the last of my Accurate #7 but the Unique tests exceeded expectations - fast and accurate. in a 5.3" barrel they exceeded the load data from Alliant as well at 1250+ fps (iirc, papers are in the basement).

The last time I really put them to the test 2 friends and I were shooting 2 liter sodas at 100 yds. The round was very flat compared to expected bullet drop. I was aiming just over the cap of the bottle and when I did my part - boom, no bottle. Not like a rifle round BOOM but the XTPs expanded perfectly. We recovered some of each shooters bullets. Fun shoot. We had a spotter calling for us.

I have 4-5 lbs of Unique and have been doing more with it and buying it when I see it. The Blue Dot just stares at me on the shelf. Accurate #7 remains MIA as does 2230 another favorite...

Last edited:
I really need to post more. I'm always up to something.

I was going to chrono 6.8 SPC rounds today - rain has that on hold.

I'm also interested.

Nitesite, its' been a while since I copied off of my friends in school, but I'm going to copy your recipe for future reference.

For range / competition rounds (playing with minor and major power factor) I was leaning heavily on WSF - that dried up. I bought into a large import of Maxam BLC-1 brought to StL this summer and use that for 9, 40 & 45 - 9 making minor power factor at just over 1000 fps with 124s (so I go to 1050 for safety).

40 hits major at 917 fps with a 180 - I push that up a bit too. The 45 (Glock 41) that I acquired last year will sit the 40 cal G22 down in competition. It makes major (with a 230) at 717 - at 750/60 plated bullets start to be accurate for me.

Word is that Rio will be coming out with a full line of reloading supplies in the US including the Maxam powder line - popular in Europe.

The BLC-1 is flake, meters light like Titegroup and won't push anything TOO fast but for the purposes I'm using it for it is good stuff! I bought 1 lb. tested it and now am working on 10lbs. I got tired of chasing powder. WSF is now back on shelves but I've moved on. BUT - last year taught me that you cannot have enough powder so maybe one of those #4 or #8 SHOULD come home with me...

Did a powder inventory and reorganization. I have 60 lbs MOST purpose bought - the ocassional 1-2 lb. lot for experimenting.

Discovered a couple that we're going faster than I thought - now on the 'buy more' list!

Chrono-Ed a bunch TH/F - will update with data in hand. 45 ACP (hot sd & soft range/comp), 300 BLK (1900 fps - 150 gr), 6.8 @ 110gr Vmax...

Got some trigger time on a BLK now, sweet round......it reminds me of a little mortar shot . It's real deceiving because it doesn't feel or sound like much ......good accuracy but not 556 accurate so far, still effing with loads for it

Excellent. I have #7 on the shelf and will most likely be able to test that before I get my hands on the Vihtavuori - or I'll run them in the same session. I'll be curious to see how each does with the different barrel lengths. I'll post up when I have info including expansion and accuracy.

#7 is MUCH easier to get locally. Can't wait to dig into this!

K.H.~ Did this work for you at 1100-fps?

Back