• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

LOP for 590A1s.

lightsped

.22LR
I have two 590A1s. A 14" with speedfeed stock, and a 20" with the regular rifle stock. I have two questions.

Why is the LOP seem so long on the 590A1s? Is there a tactical or technical reason as to why we have 13 7/8"-14" LOP stocks? When holding either 590A1, the trigger is right near my 2nd joint on my trigger finger. Is this a correct length or do I need something shorter?

I do not want a pistol grip stock or the MagPul stock. Are there any other options besides the Hogue? How is the quality and fit of Hogue?

I've got the Hogue 12" LOP stocks on all my pump guns.

Hard to find a better quality stock. They do make a 13" Hogue as well if you don't want to go 12". They're harder to find, but they're out there. You might also look into the ATI Akita stock. It has a standard/traditional grip profile with the added benefit of LOP and comb adjustment...

http://www.atigunstocks.com/mossberg-akita-adjustable-stock

Why is the LOP seem so long on the 590A1s?

Is there a tactical or technical reason as to why we have 13 7/8"-14" LOP stocks?

How is the quality and fit of Hogue?

Because a lot of Mossbergs left the factory with stocks that are in excess of 14 inches.

Yes, there is a reason that 14 LOP is (was) standard. It used to be the average length that fit most folks. Nowadays the standard is 12-13". This is mostly due to the transition from the Weaver stance to the Isosceles method of firing.

Hogue is outstanding.

The old method of determining LOP was putting the stock in the crook of the arm and measuring the index finger against the trigger. This is not accurate because it does not take into account chest size. The best sway to find LOP for you is shoulder the shotgun as if you were to fire it. The correct LOP will have your nose slightly behind your thumb.

Stocks are personal. There are a lot of things that go into them such as texture, drop, grip angle & size, recoil pad, what jacket you happen to be wearing at the time. Stocks are like blue jeans. Mine won't fit you, which is good because you didn't like them anyway. Get the stock you like.

Stocks are personal. There are a lot of things that go into them such as texture, drop, grip angle & size, recoil pad, what jacket you happen to be wearing at the time. Stocks are like blue jeans. Mine won't fit you, which is good because you didn't like them anyway. Get the stock you like.

For us smaller guys the 12" is great. You ever see a guy 6'5" try and shoot a 12"LOP. I don't think so.

Back