• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magazine Question

bodark

.22LR
I am considering a MVP for my next rifle. I really like that it uses the same magazines as my AR, but I have read a few reviews that said the MVP only functions correctly with metal magazines. Is this true? I would like to use the same PMags (polymer) that I have for my AR. Thanks for your knowledge and experience.

1st gen P-mag 30s needed a little filing and sanding to lock in place. 3rd gen P-mags and everything else I tried worked fine. The Beta C-mag and Chi Com drum were good for a few laughs but they worked. My favorites are any10 round and Vietnam ers 20 rounders.

Thanks guys. That settles that question. I think I will visit my LGS tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can get. Anything else about the MVP I need to be aware of?

Light primer strikes on some 5.56 NATO rounds you may experience. .223 rounds are good to go.

Just to be aware. Other than that I've had great accuracy with 55 and 50 grain vmax rounds.

Just the standard stuff you do on any gun you get new or used, clean it real good, check the action screws torque and put some blue lock tight on the scope base screw threads.

Thanks wood chucker. It seems you guys are well pleased with the gun. I appreciate your replies and information.

You're welcome.

Yah I'm pretty well pleased with mine. I think Mossberg did their homework pretty good on this one.

I am pleased with it. Once I got it dialed in… it's pretty much a champ. I nailed a dime at 100 yards. And I can nail a 4" gong at 200 yards consistently.

My grandson has an MVP with a 24" barrel in .223/5.56mm. With the right handloads, it is the most accurate rifle we own. (And we have a few!) This one shoots all out of proportion to the price. His doesn't like P-Mags, but functions great with any metal magazine. My P-Mags may be Gen 1's as wood chucker stated. The 200 yard gong is no challenge for him and his rifle. Our range has a 300 yard gong that is oval-shaped and about the size of a bowling pin. He hits it regularly except on the windiest days. I wasn't enthused about buying this rifle for him, but finally relented and I'm glad I did. It is definitely a keeper.

Thanks rman. I appreciate your input, especially about the accuracy. The accuracy and the magazines are what attract me to this gun. I am going to the LGS this morning to see if the price will also attract me.

I wouldn't drop more than $500-550 on the gun.

Good luck and check out the MVP forum here. I have plenty of pics and videos on my adventure with the MVP on accuracy.

Water Monkey,

You nailed the prices. I checked at three stores and the prices varied from $500 to $550.

I have another question. I want an accurate weapon. I will almost never shoot over 200 yards, and most of my shooting will be at 100 yards with occasional shorter distances. Will there be much difference in accuracy between the 24" and the 20" barrel at those distances? Thanks once more!

For those distances you won't see a difference.

If you are a bench shooter I suggest getting the 18" medium bull barrel. You can shoot longer strings and the barrel won't heat up as fast and change the impact of the bullet.

I use the 18" medium bull.

For 100yd and the occasional stretch out to 200, I'd go with the 18.5" hands down.

The biggest advantage of the 24" barrels is a longer powder burn and increased gas pressure to propel lighter 45-50gr varmint projos out to longer distances. We're talking 400-500yd before you begin to realize any real benefit. One disadvantage of the longer barrels is that the increase in length and overall surface area, as Water Monkey pointed out, makes the barrel more susceptible to changes in thermodynamics and resonance. These factors can have some dramatic effects on shot placement.

For short yardage, out to 300yd, the 18.5" barrel will be plenty effective. The shorter barrel will be more rigid and less affected by changes in heat and resonance. It's also lighter weight and easier to maneuver overall. The 20" barrel is a good length as well, but the 1.5" of added barrel won't make much difference at all on target...

I am considering a MVP for my next rifle. I really like that it uses the same magazines as my AR, but I have read a few reviews that said the MVP only functions correctly with metal magazines. Is this true? I would like to use the same PMags (polymer) that I have for my AR. Thanks for your knowledge and experience.

Hi bodark

MATE HOLD OFF ON THE PMAGS!!!!

I purchased a MVP patrol 308 16.25" barrel, took it to the range (bench) and loaded an empty Pmag 10 rnd to assist single feeding the chamber.

Every time I fired, the mag would eject. I thought I was not locking the mag in so I slammed it home yanked downwards and it was it was confirmed to be locked in.

Fired again and the mag ejected. I thought the mag may have been striking the bench or rest, so off to one of my hunting spots.

Tested empty and full Pmags both eject on firing. Tested factory metal mag no issues.

I have not investigated further as I've had other issues with this rifle ive had to sort out.

Not trying turn you off, I like this rifle and I believe its got real potential
but just a warning I have never had a rifle that I couldn't pull out a box clean and shoot reliably without any major issues.

I will have a look at it and get back to you on the cause of issue

Cheers
Highlander

Thanks, Highlander. I am not in a hurry to make this purchase. I am interested in the 223 version, but I would like you to keep me posted as you work your way through the issues with your 308. The major reason I am considering this rifle is the magazine compatibility with my AR. The other posters to this thread have not had problems with PMags so maybe your problems are unique. In any case, please let me know how things work out. If you contact Mossberg customer service, I would like to know how they respond. I appreciate your information.

Back