• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magazine Question

The 7.62 mag issue is a whole different animal.

The 5.56 mags are standardized across all manufacturers, while 7.62 mags are made to different specs depending on the manufacturer and/or rifle platform. Specs for the MVP Patrol in 7.62 list compatibility with M1A/M14 as well as DPMS LR-308/Knights Armament SR-25 mags. These two types of magazines are typically not cross-compatible.

Magpul specs for their LR/SR 7.62 Pmags list compatibility with LR-308/SR-25, but specifically call out that they are not compatible with rifles that use M1A/M14 mags. Looks like Mossberg's attempt to straddle the fence on compatibility has created a design flaw that somehow causes an issue for the 7.62 Pmags...

Sniper,

Knowledge is a wonderful thing. I just wish I had more of it, like you guys. You gave me great information on the magazines as well as your post on barrel length. It looks like the 18.5" barrel is the way to go; more maneuverable, lighter, yet still accurate. I keep saying it, but I am very grateful for your time, and the way you guys are sharing your knowledge with me.

LES steered me to the 18.5" medium bull barrel.

We have a wealth of knowledge on this site. I realize everyday what I don't know could fill a warehouse.

After reading your recommendation on barrel length, let me ask another question. In my area (Arkansas), the 18.5" medium bull barrel will cost me $500. I just found a 20" on sale for $450. Would you take the 20" or pay extra for the 18.5" barrel?

The 1.5" isn't gonna make enough difference to warrant the added cost. If you like it, go for it...

Back