• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Magpul MOE for 500 and 590

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Did a quick search but didnt find quite what I was lookin for. I'm a little behind on whats goin on so if this info is out there, point me in the right direction and I'll move or remove this post, thanks fellas.

I'm wondering if anyone has actually had the Magpul furniture in hand yet?

While I do like a lot of what magpul offers, their shotgun buttstocks are not one of them.

Even though I have used their MOE and CTR stocks on various guns including my 500, my STG2000, my M10A1, etc.

I don't recall but maybe one of their pieces of furniture on Mossberg owners. And if memory serves, it was forum member chrismetallica.

I had handled an 870 with one and handled the parts off the gun but I didn’t get a chance to shoot with it. The pistol grip area was a comfortable angle and the adjustable lop is cool.
The look is hideous imo but I could get past that if it was some ground breaking stock……I don’t think it’s worth the money even if it looked better…….My bro’s AR is set up with some Magpul stuff and I just don’t get all the hype…..if it were priced cheaper then I might feel better about it.

John A. said:
While I do like a lot of what magpul offers, their shotgun buttstocks are not one of them.

My thoughts exactly. And I would venture to say that any of the 870 reviews out there already would be pretty analogous to the 500.

But I'm sure it'll be the cats meow for someone ;)

I like their AR hand guards, pistol grips, and slings. I'm indifferent about their AR butt stocks and sights though. I've used a Magpul forend on an 870 and liked it a lot and may get one for my 590A1 since they don't cost much. But I kind of like the speed feed so I'll stick with my current stock.

Well, here's what I'm thinkin.

I've always said my preference on a shotgun is for a traditional stock and especially for OFM. I really like Hogue, and I can't think of any good reason to use anything else. However, I like the idea of the Magpul offering means of adjusting comb height on a traditional stock. I'd like to someday try sights on a shotgun again, just that in the past the sight line has been way too high to be comfortable to shoot.

So while it isn't the most attractive stock, there are features that help make up for that, at least in my head. I also like the SAP on the side. When using my CDM clamp with the swivel on the side, the angle or way the sling pulls against the swivel on the stock was actually enough to break the swivel.

So, just been thinkin about tryin something different, givin it a fair shake and bringing it back here for a full report.

By all means... We'd love a review! I wonder if there's a way to get one without possibly wasting the $100 (although I'm sure someone would buy it in a heartbeat!)

If I can do anything personally it won't be for a bit.

I ordered the magpul forend from Midway yesterday for my 590A1, but I have been reading that it will not fit with a heatshield. I have already sent an email to magpul asking about this. I do not want to get rid of my heatshield and also don't want to wreck the forend modifying it to fit. I will have it in hand in a couple of days.

aksavanaman said:
I wonder if there's a way to get one without possibly wasting the $100 (although I'm sure someone would buy it in a heartbeat!)
and for the 100, which seems to be bottom dollar, you don't get the forend with it ! That's the part that pisses me off. It didn't feel like a 100 dollar butt stock when I held it

I received the Magpul SGA stock for my 590A1 this past week. It is a good fit for me. My primary reason for trying this was the ability to change the comb height. One major negative is that the stock bolt must be loosened to remove the trigger group. It is hard to belive that the grip portion of the stock could not have been shaped in a manner to make this unneccessary. Had I known this, I probably would not have purchased it.

GSDenshaw said:
I received the Magpul SGA stock for my 590A1 this past week. It is a good fit for me. My primary reason for trying this was the ability to change the comb height. One major negative is that the stock bolt must be loosened to remove the trigger group. It is hard to belive that the grip portion of the stock could not have been shaped in a manner to make this unneccessary. Had I known this, I probably would not have purchased it.

I had similar issues when I added a receiver end plate sling adapter. Except the bolt was too short. I went to the hardware store and got a longer one. Maybe you can find a shorter bolt?

Either way, I appreciate this point you make.

Oh wait, I pretty much never clean guns, it makes me sad for some reason. However, it would be nice to have a properly fitting bolt.

Maybe as much as the stock costs, Magpul could do like Hogue does with Remington shotguns and include a replacement bolt.

That's right,
Magpul SGA
Mossberg 500 590

Incase you're searching for this stuff on the interwebs.

Unfortunately, the bolt is not the problem. There is no clearance for the trigger group to pivot out of the stock while it is attached to the receiver. It must be loosened to make room. In other words the supplied bolt does not interfere with the trigger group.

Ahh, the issue is with the stock itself and how it seats against the receiver?

Do you have any pics?

Knoxx was the same way, it just basically covers the rear portion of the trigger group so you cant remove it without removing the stock. Hardly ever a reason to break it down that far to clean it though

oli700 said:
Knoxx was the same way, it just basically covers the rear portion of the trigger group so you cant remove it without removing the stock. Hardly ever a reason to break it down that far to clean it though

Oli, I'm inclined to agree. I rarely had a reason to take that much apart. I strongly dislike cleaning firearms anyhow and a pump action Mossberg for example requires far less than others.

Good to know in advance though, I'm also one who dislikes extra steps. I can see how this would be frustrating.

I just got the SGA stock for my 500. I think I have the same problem with the stock and I was thinking the bolt was to long... but maybe not. When I tighten down the bolt securing the stock to the receiver, it binds up the takedown pin and you can't get it out. If I back off the bolt off a 1/4 turn or so the pin comes out easy but the stock is loose.

Are you saying that that's ok and when I want to take the trigger group out, to field strip the weapon, I just need to loosen the stock bolt!? Having the takedown pin bound up in there makes me feel like I'm damaging the gun.

My first instinct was to cut the bolt off a little, but then again my first instinct is not normally the most prudent... :twisted:

The take down issue was fixed on my stock by taking a dremel tool and increasing the radius behind the trigger guard on the stock by maybe .075-.100. Took literally 2 mins. As for the stock bolt Question, I haven't experienced the problem posted above.

Do you guys like the products for the shotguns. I've read good things, but sometimes think extra ammo is money better spent. If the stock makes a huge difference, I am willing to consider.

Back