• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mariner Finish- which cleaner/lube?

Gronk

I'll be picking up my new 590A1 with Marinecote today and plan on disassembly to give it a good first cleaning before I fire it in case there's any factory residue. My plan is to completely wipe it down with denatured alcohol before applying cleaner and lube, any info on the Marinecote would be helpful, thanks!

Sent from my iCook iClean iWork!

No need to worry about cleaners/oil, etc. Marine coat is pretty tough, so the same stuff you'd use on any other gun works just fine. Mine is an '89 model, and about all I do is run a dry patch down the barrel occasionally to clean out any unburned powder residue. Go easy on lubes for the action. The gun will run fine dry or nearly dry.

Marinecote is very tough stuff. It will handle any regular firearms cleaners/lubricants. In fact the finish is just like anything else, except it won't rust!

I cannot recommend alcohol as a cleaner simply because it is a poor solvent and is not tested on firearms.

Back