• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mav 88 elevator problems

Andy380

.22LR
I just bought a used but taken care of Mossberg maverick 88 tactical. The original owner said he had never had any trouble with it and couldn't believe it was happening. When I rack the slide, the elevator does not go down and get the shell. It seems to work more often with the barrel is removed but still not 100 percent. Any ideas what I need to do? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your "new to you" mav88.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I posted a link to a similar problem a member was having.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6354

Tear it down and give it a good inspection.

Keep us posted.

I just got a chance to look at the innards of my 500A.

Andy380 also check the action slide arms for being bent or out of the track.

Disassemble. Could be the slide not properly seated or the elevator hung up somewhere.

Ok, I took everything apart and cleaned each one. What exactly am I looking for ? Any help would be great! Thanks! Seems the left side of the elevator is rubbing when lifted up . Is this normal?

Check for a loose or broken ejector screwed to the receiver on the left side.
Also look at the elevator see if one of the arms are bent and the action slide arms.

Everything works good until I put the barrel back on. It's like the bolt isn't going all the way back but it is. You can't even lift it with your finger with barrel on. ????. .?.

Could be the locking lug on the bolt is hanging up. Try soaking the bolt in solvent.

Also check the lug recess on the end of the barrel for any worn or sharp edges.

After disassembling and re assembling again, it's still doesn't want to work with the barrel inserted. Everything looks good and sounds good without the barrel. After examining more closely and trying to find something, it seems that the tab on the shell interruptor catches the elevator on the way down. Maybe the interruptor is twisted or the elevator is bent toward that side because I can push it over away from it and it works. Ok I give up. It isn't the interruptor tab but it has something to do when the barrel is inserted. But the elevator isn't touching anything on the barrel when it is inserted. Tell what I should do. Thanks for all your help and to Mossy!

Andy380 said:
After disassembling and re assembling again, it's still doesn't want to work with the barrel inserted. Everything looks good and sounds good without the barrel. After examining more closely and trying to find something, it seems that the tab on the shell interruptor catches the elevator on the way down. Maybe the interrupt or is twisted or the elevator is bent toward that side because I can push it over away from the tab. Guess I need to order a elevator and interruptor don't ya think Mossy? What and where's the best way to get them? Thanks for all of the replies! You guys are great!

Check and make sure the cartridge interrupter is in the receiver all the way. If it is the interrupter is bent. You can try to fix it yourself with some patients and a few tools or pick up a new one.
As far as the elevator,if you look at it and can't see any bent arms I would say it's ok.

Below is a pic of a good interrupter. You can see how much of a bend there is going over the shell.

If you decide you need a new one, give Mossberg a call. Depending on the age of the gun you might get it free.(800) 363-3555

Attachments

• good interrupter.jpg
    good interrupter.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 190
Mossy, after further review (lol) i have decided that the forearm isnt going all the way back so that the elevator will fall. It likes almost 1/2 inch. this barrel has a heat shield on it and the plastic of the forearm and hitting te band at the botom of the barrel. So i'm thinking, that this isnt the original barrel for this gun. Is there anyway that the serial number would say tell us what barrel its supposed to have?

Dosen't really matter what barrel is on there all interchange.

Take some pics of the gun and post them. :)

It won't let me download pictures, says they're too big. But anyway, looking at the top of the gun with the barrel removed, the 2 leading plastic edges are not wide enough and are hitting the band of the heat shield, not allowing it bolt to go all the way rearward, thus not letting the elevator fall.

Well glad you figured it out. I guess all you need to do is remove the heat shield. :D

No problem. Was a little hard to see that heat shield from here. :lol:

Glad you got it going. :)

Back