• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mav 88 elevator problems

It looks like it is a factory shield. I tried to remove it earlier but was afraid I would scratch the barrel. It has the dimples on it like it has been pressed on. I will fool with it today after work. Thanks!

If you can contact the original seller and find out how the heat shield got on the Maverick, that would be beneficial to the diagnosis.

It could be, if after market, that it was improperly installed.

For the record, unless you are in the business of bayonetting people…. a heat shield is not that particularly practical aside from the cool factor.

Ok, removed the slide and filed about 1/2" off of each side, cycles better but still the elevator wouldn't come down. After me and dad did some minor filing on the interruptor tab, bending the elevator arms a bit to center it. The gun is working now but you really have to rack it with some force. The heat shield doesn't seem aftermarket but really helps the looks of it. So I can't explain the reason it was acting up but it works now and shoots like a beast! Now to get rid of the hard plastic stock/pistol grip.thanks for all the help!

Andy380 said:
Ok, removed the slide and filed about 1/2" off of each side, cycles better but still the elevator wouldn't come down. After me and dad did some minor filing on the interruptor tab, bending the elevator arms a bit to center it. The gun is working now but you really have to rack it with some force. The heat shield doesn't seem aftermarket but really helps the looks of it. So I can't explain the reason it was acting up but it works now and shoots like a beast! Now to get rid of the hard plastic stock/pistol grip.thanks for all the help!

It should not be that hard to rack,something is still out of wack.

Is the forend coming in contact with the receiver too early which is causing it not to cycle fully to the rear?

Forend may be too long perhaps?

old mossy said:
Andy380 said:

It should not be that hard to rack,something is still out of wack.

After all this and still not functioning? One of the biggest reasons for a "hard rack" would be that your cartridge stop lever is riding infront of the tab on the action bar... not behind like it's supposed to. This will certainly cause a bind and keep the elevator from operating properly.

Unload the gun and cycle it slowly as you're watching. Pay attention to that cartridge stop right before it releases (if you had a shell in the tube... this is when it's released onto the elevator). You will see a raised tab on the action bar that cam's the cartridge stop toward the outside of the receiver. Sometimes the stop is bent, or your caming surface is out of line... causing it to ride infront of the action bar tab. This will have two effects... 1) the cartridge stop won't release a shell and 2) it will bind with the elevator...

Man... this would be easier to explain in a video (hint to myself ;) )

I am considering ordering the Elevator, Cartridge interruptor and the Cartridge stop. just to rule those 3 out. But I will double check it when I get home. Thanks. it still cycles good with barrel off!

Andy380 said:
I am considering ordering the Elevator, Cartridge interruptor and the Cartridge stop. just to rule those 3 out. But I will double check it when I get home. Thanks. it still cycles good with barrel off!

You keep mentioning about the barrel off,at this point i would take the heat shield off to eliminate it.
Also if you could get some pics of the parts posted it might help.

Upon disassembling the shotgun again, and I could do it with my eyes closed now, here's what I found that was happening when I racked the slide. With the gun upside down,the nearest slide arm was jumping on top of the elevator back where the elevator falls off right before it goes down to the pegs. So the action (slide) arm wasn't staying against the side of the receiver. So then I removed the spring tension that's on the arms on the slide. Now it works just fine without racking it hard. Hope this helps someone in the future and saves them the frustration that I had.

OK it's a bent action slide arm??

old mossy wrote:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:19 pm
I just got a chance to look at the innards of my 500A.

Andy380 also check the action slide arms for being bent or out of the track.

Glad you got it fixed. :D

Back