• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MikeD's 835 project gun

The spring was still stuck in the receiver. It was actually quite difficult to dig it out.

I really like the 835! Primarily because its like a 590 with a field barrel! ;)

Looks like its gonna be a fun project and I'm lookin forward to seeing how it turns out for you!

Put my order in for some Cerakote-H in Coyote Tan today. Taking John A's advice for the color of the basecoat.

I'm waivering on my stock choices. I initially wanted to go with some type of recoil reduction but I saw a forest camo stock/forend set on the Boyds web site that got me thinking.

BoydsStock.jpg

BoydsForend.jpg

What to do? ....

coyote base coat works great for my area. And the cerakote should make for a strong base. Good choice. Much better than the canned stuff that they sell with the camo dip kits.

camodipbasecoloroptions002-1.jpg

camodip030-1-1.jpg

headhunternatural006-1-1.jpg

You may want to try to go thin on the cerakote and water dip camo and clearcoat on the action bars (due to clearance) and carefully on the magazine tube since it's going to be a high wear area but I'm still looking forward to seeing the finished gun. :cool:

John A. said:
I did a quick topic about water immersion camo on here somewhere if you can find it that may help if that's the route you're going.

Since the gun will have to be painted before you do the water dip in the film, cerakote is a good choice for that. Although if you have the equipment to airbrush and then bake in the oven, I like either KG GunKoter or Norrell's Moly a little better than cerakote, but if not, the cerakote is one of the good alternatives.

And to be honest, a light tan color base coat on the gun gave me the best outcome when you dip the camo.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help any way I could.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=1773&p=29549

There is nothing tougher than a parkerized base with cerakote finish. I opted not to park under mine on my shotgun just my personal preference to cut costs. Alot of the worlds armies use moly and parked bases. I am getting the SKS refinished with a parked base under KG GunKote (Moly).

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

ripjack13 said:
did you get that boyds stock?

Not yet. I'm thinking I may get it for my 500 and stick to the recoil reducer for my 835. Those 3.5" loads can be brutal.

I need to get going on prepping the parts for the paint. I need to wait til more funds become available before I finish buying the hardware. :-D

I like tearingstuff down and rebuildiong them, but the actual prepping and painting of things, not so much. LOL

Mike, I dont much care for prepping either... I tend to rush through it!

Rossignol said:
Mike, I dont much care for prepping either... I tend to rush through it!

yep..that's where it should be laid back. relax. and just cruise along at a turtles pace. not a snail, but turtles tend to get to where they need to be at a good pace......

jSncil.jpg

ah but lets not forget gang the final outcome all starts with the prep. your best result will start with good prep work thats were the most care should be taken. easier said than done though.....

ChopperGuy, I totally agree... just wish I had the patience for it when I do it for myself.

Therefore;
Hellooooo Jet Propulsion! :D

I'd be afraid that if I ever set one of the camouflaged shotguns down, I'd never be able to find it again. :cry: Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
I'd be afraid that if I ever set one of the camouflaged shotguns down, I'd never be able to find it again. :cry: Take care. Tom Worthington.

:lol: That would suck!

Turkey season is creeping closer and closer I guess I better start making progress on this else my winter project will turn into a summer project, which would probably rend up as next years winter project. LOL

Connecticut's Turkey season starts April 25th! 2 Toms on state land and 3 on private. Woo...I'm thankful for my buddies farm land...I'm going spread it out and see if I can get 3 all at different days....you know...make it last. Enjoy it!

I have some time scheduled with my buddies sand blaster this weekend!! :D :D

I'll post pics of the results

Back