• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Misfirings and strange wear patterns (image heavy post)

kama3

Copper BB
Hello,

"Freshman" shotgun owner/trap shooter here with a month or so old 930 w/ 28" barrel. So far I put about 600-700 rounds though it and it's been great overall, but over the past 2-3 weeks have been having regular misfirings. At least 2-3 on every round of trap. At first I attributed that to cheap Estate ammo, but problems continued with Federal, Winchester and Remington. For a while same thing happened every time - hammer drops but no "bang". Sometimes primer gets a firing pin strike, sometimes does not. Same shell would misfire once or twice, but then would discharge just fine. Last two trips to the range, however, it started having a new issue - trigger clicks, but hammer does not drop.

Spent all day yesterday reading different forums and consensus is the same - gun issue. Dirt, too much oil or something along those lines, so I decided to do "deep cleaning" and disassemble the bolt and trigger assembly. From my experience with all kinds of mechanical equipment, handguns and everything that has moving parts, I know that sharp edges and uneven wear patterns are not a good thing. I know that a shotgun is not a precision firearm and as long as things kinda-sorta fit together and nothing abstracts the movement, everything should be good, so I am not really sure if I should be concerned with this, but I would like someone else with more experience take a look at the pictures below.

Hammer wear is off center

Line in the yellow circle is pretty rough and has sharp edges

Un-even wear on the slide, but this should not affect anything

Bolt goes over the slide and this piece serves as a shock absorber, I believe. But shout it be pointing down that much?

Not sure what this one is called. Firing pin safety? Is this kind of wear normal?

Same part flipped upside down. This looks pretty messed up.

Same part. Orange circles show the marks where firing pin strikes this thing when its in the way. I don't think that should be there....

Same part. Pretty large and un-even gouge there.

Bolt.

Bolt. That notch there is pretty sharp and was definitely seared off by something. Sharp edges everywhere.

Other side of the bolt. I think that should've been a straight line there, not a wave...

Sharp edges there too.

After market charge handle. Wear on it is very rough, except the 2nd image. That one is very smooth.

Pretty sharp gouge inside of the receiver.

Oh and "mushroomed" firing pin butt. I know the force of the hammer is pretty strong, but I don't beliebe firing pin should be deforming.

Should I be contacting Mossberg about this or this is considered normal in the shotgun world?

Thank you!

Hi,
I think your whole bolt carrier group at the minimum may need to be replaced. Why? I think that bent firing pin is telling a story of too soft of a tempering. No way should that be bent like that. Talk to Mossberg.
Good luck and please let us know.
Regards...

The "un-even wear .." on the side and bolt handle wear seem normal to me. Everything else is odd and doesn't match up to my wear pattern (2500 rds or so).

Send it back to OFM, my experience with their service turnaround has been very good. With shipping included both ways, it was gone for about a week and a 1/2.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

Emailed Mossberg customer service 2 days ago and sent them photos, but haven't received a response yet. Not even an automated reply. Will be calling them today.

I did go to the range last night, shot 4 rounds of trap and the gun behaved properly. Not a single misfire. I still want Mossberg to take a look at it and see if anything needs to be replaced. I don't want it to get even more messed up.

Will post an update as soon as I hear back.

Call OFM and stay on them till you get a proper response. Dont be afraid to move up the chain and also mention youre a member of Mossberg Owners. It may help if they know this stuff gets posted everywhere, theyre def aware we exist.

Rossignol said:
Call OFM and stay on them till you get a proper response. Dont be afraid to move up the chain and also mention youre a member of Mossberg Owners. It may help if they know this stuff gets posted everywhere, theyre def aware we exist.

...AND be patient. Those folks seem to be pretty overwhelmed with work right now. However, once they get on it, I believe they will do very well by you. I had a positive experience with Mossberg service. Take care. Tom Worthington.

All right. Another update.

Did not have time to call Mossberg on Friday, but just spoke to them few minutes ago. Sounded like their service rep was either still asleep or hungover. The whole conversation lasted for about 3 minutes and he did not ask any questions, other than what the serial number, my name and the address were. I should probably type up a letter with exact problem explanation and include it with the gun when I send it in. They are emailing me a shipping label which will take 5 business days. I think they may be using USPS to send emails :)

As far as the issues go, they got even worse. Unlike my Thursday trip to the range, Sunday started of with 3 misfires in a row and averaged 3-4 on each round of trap. On the 3rd station of the 5th trap round I mounted the gun, called for a target... and was unable to pull the trigger. It did not move at all as if the safety was engaged (it wasn't). Ejected the shell, re-loaded, called for target and same thing happened again. Unloaded the gun. Played with it for a bit and it seemed to work OK, so I decided to finish the round. Same thing happened on the 5th station. RSO saw me having issues and came over to see whats happening. I go "ok, skip to the next one", gun pointing downrange, finger completely off the trigger and around the grip, reach in for the charge handle with the other hand to unload, and the gun goes off by itself! We both went "WHOA! What the hell!?!?"

Came home, took it apart again to see what could be causing this. Did not see that would block the trigger from moving, but found another issue. The pin you see on the image below was half way out and the sear-looking piece (don't know the correct name) was sideways. I pushed the pin back in, pressed the sear piece couple of times and the pin came out again!

16.jpg

image taken from: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 8&t=219571

Hi,
Everything you have described and shown points more and more to bad heat treating causing soft metal to wear far, far quicker than it ever should leading to completely out of spec tolerances.
Be interested to hear what Mossberg thinks of that theory.
That peening of the firing pin, what you described as " mushrooming" is a dead give away, plus this last incident should go a long ways to confirm it. Lucky there was not a major incident it sounds like.
Best...

It's been a week and still no shipping label.

Gave them a call earlier today and after about an hour of constant announcements that their representatives are busy, I finally got someone on the line. 10 more minutes of holding while they were pulling up my information. After that I was told that my information is still being processed and that I should have my shipping label "by the end of the week or maybe sooner"

So far I am not impressed with either the gun or the customer service.

Meanwhile I picked up a 2 months old Remington 1100 Sporting from a friend (he upgraded to Beretta Silver Pigeon). The 1100 has about 3,500-4,000 rounds through it and practically has no wear at all. It looks like a brand new gun.

Sigh.

After another week of waiting and another phone call to customer service, I finally received my shipping label. .. 5 minutes after I got off the phone. So I don't really understad this "we will email your a shipping label in the next 5 business days" ish, when they can make one in 5 mintes.

So far I am not impressed with either the gun or the customer service and don't think I will be buying another Mossberg.

The Remington 1100, on the other hand, got about 750 rounds through it over the past week. Not a single misfire.

Great. My Mossberg just got delivered from Maverick Arms.
NOTHING was fixed on it. Not. One. Thing. Argh!

Really? Man, I wish I had an answer for you. You can call OFM and really get on em and insist on talking to a supervisor. I know its all more headache... I dont know what else to recommend.

Sorry dude.

Thanks guys! I will definitely call them on Tuesday.

I'll take it to a range tonight and see how it does, but I don't really feel I should be trying to sell this thing to someone, considering its past performance.

Understood,

When you call back, ask for CS supervisor Javier Contreras. Several of our members in similar situations have gone directly through him and saw immediate results...

I would be calling the President/CEO and I am not joking one *** Damn bit. There is no way you should have be putting up with this cascading bullshit. You might inform he or she that their company would benefit greatly from that person either actively engaging on this forum or at least monitoring our daily dealings. I belong to certain knife forums where that is routine and those companies benefit greatly from this common sense customer oriented approach.
Regards...

Back