• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model 342

Vietnam SSG

Copper BB
DSCN5929.JPG DSCN5927.JPG I've had this rifle since i was 14 years old. It saw some use in the early 60s. In the years that followed i moved quite a bit and it rusted and got pretty beat up until recently i tried restoringDSCN5928.JPG it as best i could. (See Attachments) I would like to know anything the members of this site could tell me about this rifle and if is worth anything as both of my children live in New York and they are not fond of guns. Thanks for your help. ssg vietnam

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Sarge !!

...and thank you for your service to our great country !!

Sarge The model 342 was made from 1957-1959 and it came from the factory with the following features.
.22 S, L, or LR cal., (Mag adjusts for different types of ammo) bolt action, mag. fed, carbine model with hinged black plastic fold-down forend, walnut Monte Carlo stock with swivels and sling, 18 in. bbl., 38 in. overall length, military post front and rear aperture sights, weight was 5 lbs.

model 342k was made from 1957-1960 and had standard rear sights mounted on the barrel.
model 342ka was made from 1960-1974 but I do not know what the difference is in this model.

Price range seems to be in the 150-200 dollar range for a nice one. I see some sellers asking more but they don't seem to sell.
I paid 40 for a project gun needing work.
Sarge I must thank you for 2 things, first for your service to our Country
and Second for posting photos of your gun. I am doing repairs on a stock and needed a photo showing the cut out for the rear sights.
Your photo helped a lot Thanks
Gary R

Sarge The model 342 was made from 1957-1959 and it came from the factory with the following features.
.22 S, L, or LR cal., (Mag adjusts for different types of ammo) bolt action, mag. fed, carbine model with hinged black plastic fold-down forend, walnut Monte Carlo stock with swivels and sling, 18 in. bbl., 38 in. overall length, military post front and rear aperture sights, weight was 5 lbs.

model 342k was made from 1957-1960 and had standard rear sights mounted on the barrel.
model 342ka was made from 1960-1974 but I do not know what the difference is in this model.

Price range seems to be in the 150-200 dollar range for a nice one. I see some sellers asking more but they don't seem to sell.
I paid 40 for a project gun needing work.
Sarge I must thank you for 2 things, first for your service to our Country
and Second for posting photos of your gun. I am doing repairs on a stock and needed a photo showing the cut out for the rear sights.
Your photo helped a lot Thanks
Gary R
Here are a few more if this will help. ssgDSCN5928.JPG DSCN5929.JPG

Back