• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Well, finally got my 500...

They shipped the wrong thing originally (a clip for some AR .22 or some such thing), so didn't get it the gun til yesterday.

Anyway, here are my thoughts right off the bat:

- I don't like the forend. Maybe it's inexperience, but it seems like a pistol-grip forend would be more comfortable than the horizontal type. I also don't like that it's not 'grippy'. The polymer is a bit slippery. I dunno - I just don't like it.

- I don't like where the forend release is. It's reachable, but awkward to operate with my thumb.

Small complaints I guess...nothing that's that big of a deal. I think I'll replace the forearm with a pistol-grip type...maybe one with the built-in flashlight holder.

Nothing you haven't seen a million times, but here are a few pictures:

d1d9c715.jpg

348836bb.jpg

2c078a85.jpg

Re: Well, finally got my 500...

Very nice congrats!! If your are not liking the slippery furniture give hogue over molded stock set a try. It's a traditional style stock set with a shorter length of pull or normal Length of pull. Enjoy your 500!!! :mrgreen:

I like it dude!

I understand not diggin the horizontal forend though the grip wasnt an issue for me. I'll agree all day long with K-dub on the Hogue! The overmolded forend is sweet and plenty grippy!

I prefer traditional stocks on Mossbergs for the very reason you mentioned, manipulating the controls. For some folks it will never be a proble, but it bothers me personally when I cant reach the controls easily.

Thanks guys. I'll look into the Hogue.

It just seems (again - I have little shooting experience) that a pistol grip would be more comfortable. I don't really care about looks, I just want it to be comfortable to hold and shoot.

x3 on the Hogue set-up!

I shoot both styles of stocks and they're both comfortable. I've got the shorter Hogue 12" LOP traditional stock on my 590a1 and love it! I've also got a 590 with a 6-pos pistol grip stock and you'll get used to it before long. With the shotgun unloaded you have to depress the action release every time to avoid dry firing, but one thing that you'll pick up on when you get out to the range is that it's deactivated when you pull the trigger. The only time you'd actually need to use it would be while manually unloading the mag tube and it's a good idea to have your finger away from the trigger for that anyway. The forends are easy enough to replace, so take a look through the site. There are tons of posts from those of us who are runnin aftermarket forends.

Good lookin boomstick...

I dunno man, take a look in there and look to see if there is either a metal tube with the action bars attached to that or if the action bars are pinned directly to the plastic.

As far as I know, "tac" models with the ribbed forends still have action tubes. The only ones I've seen with the pinned to plastic action bars are on models with what look more like sporting styled forends, which are even on some of the tac or special purpose models.

Yankee said:
Note *Synthetic forends on new Mossberg 500A cannot be replaced because action bars are attached to forend.

You don’t have that style forend,you have the action bars pinned to a metal tube.... and don’t make any decisions about furniture before you actually shoot the gun. I personally hate a forend grip because it transmits a lot of the recoil to your hand, it is another snag point and it can put undue stress on your action bars as it can provide extra leverage from side to side .......it makes it less compact for storage or slipping in a space like between truck seats and such......JMO

my new Mossberg 500 Blackwater Series

just picked it up yesterday but have not got a chance to shoot it yet . i got a lot of mods that i want to do to it and will post pics as i go on this project .

mossy2.jpg

Re: my new Mossberg 500 Blackwater Series

Awesome looking shotty! I cant say much for the OEM pistol grip but i LOVE those strapped forends!!!!

lol I don't think they ever do... Mine didn't last very long either. What stock you thinking of putting on?

i wanted to go with the FAB but it is is a little to pricey so i will probably go with the ATI unless something else catches my eye .

I believe you are referring to the Mako Group stock when you "FAB".

Might I suggest a Mesa Tactical LEO Adapter? I freaking love it and you will see I suggest these to everyone looking for a AR15 style stock!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk73 ... C00775.jpg

That is mine that I have put together, collectively you can expect to spend a little over $100 on the Adapter and other parts you will need

I'll throw in a vote for the Gen 1 Blackhawk/Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock...

It's a great stock and I've been very happy with it...

LES, how do you feel about the "cheek slap" that I hear about? I was considering that same stock but I didn't like some of the reviews... Do you find the same problem or is it non-existent with a good cheek weld? Would be a nice alternative for my Fiance to shoot my shotty!

Can't help you there, I've never let it slap me.

My take on it is that some folks don't compensate for the stock's "suspension" system. During each shot after the rearward motion stops and the suspension returns the force away from the shooter, the return force can pull the stock off of the shooter's shoulder. At the same time, as the barrel drops, the stock will rise and produce the uncomfortable cheek slap. Properly controling the weapon by keeping the stock snugged tightly into the shoulder will eliminate the issue...

Okay, so pretty much just doing what you should already be doing... :p I may just stick with my current in progress set up and continue buying Low Recoil Loads, but it is another option for the OP to consider!

So this might be met with jeers by some, but I picked up the pistol grip Moss Blackwater model. Thought for the money it was a great piece of equipment. My only thing is that I'm not a fan of the Blackwater logo.

Anybody out there know how to remove it without scratching/scuffing the finish? Thanks in advance.

:O thats a horrible thing to do!!!! :) LOL but too each his own! I think you would have too completely refinish the entire receiver. Could wrong. Too my knowledge it is not just a sticker

Back