• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modifications for roadblocker 500

Givemhell

Copper BB
Hello all I'm new to the shotgun scene. I purchased a roadblocker 500 (which is badass by the way) but I want to make some modifications. I hear you can add a forearm grip if I'm saying that right and a bigger barrel to hold more rounds? Also a rail you can add for optics. I guess what I'm getting at is where can I find these mods? Thank you for your time!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new 500.

To add a foregrip, you're going to need to install a new forend with a bottom rail. There are several manufacturers out there, so you'll have to use your google-fu to find the forend and price you like. Here's an example of one that many of our members use...

FAB Defense: Mossberg 500 Rail System

Before you purchase a forend, you need to determine if your factory forend is pinned to the action bar, or if it uses an action slide tube assembly held on by a barrel nut. Some of the newer model 500s have pinned forends and you'd end up having to buy and install an action slide tube assembly before you could use an aftermarket forearm.

If the forend is pinned to the action bar, you'll clearly be able to see it...

If yours uses and action slide tube and barrel nut, you'll see this...

If this is the case, then next you'll need to determine the length of your action slide tube. It will be either 6-1/2" or 7-5/8"...

beforeoldstyle.jpg

Not all manufactrurer's aftermarket forends are made to fit both slide tube lengths, so knowing the length of your tube is crucial. There are adapters made for the 6-1/5" forends that will enable them to be installed on 7-5/8 tubes.

If your receiver is tapped for a mount, then all you need to do is add a picatinny rail for mounting an optic. There are a ton af them out there, so again use your google-fu to find the price you like. Here's one example...

MOSSBERG 500/590/835 SCOPE RAIL

Now as far as adding mag tube capacity, it's a bit more complicated. The 500 platform mag tube cap does not allow for the addition of a mag tube extension. The only way you can increase your mag capacity would be to replace your current 5 shot mag tube with a longer 7 shot tube. This would also require replacing your current road blocker barrel with a longer, 20" barrel. If you're happy with your current barrel profile this may not be the way to go for only increasing your capacity by two rounds. You may instead want to consider a side-saddle that will allow for extra ammo to be carried on the weapon for quick reloads. There are plenty of options there too if you're interested...

I received my new foreend this afternoon. I purchased the pr-mo. Is it common for it to have about a 1/4 wiggle when I shake it?

You mean the side-to-side play?

If so it's normal, but it shouldn't have much more wiggle than your factory forend...

Ya the side to side. I suppose it's normal than, this was my first time to take it all apart so I could just be being worrisome.

The play in tolerance on the forend is one of the reasons Mossberg pumps are so reliable.

Tighter tolerances can lead to the action seizing up if sand, grime, or other debris ends up in the pump mechanism. After a couple trips to the range you won't even notice it anymore...

Back